cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems updating the bios (208)

nagooro
Level 7
When my JX is plugged in the speed is around 3.30GHz, when I unplug it, it drops down to about ~1GHz. From my understanding the new bios would fix this throttling, correct?

However when I try and update my bios, it says "Build date is too old". I downloaded the file from asus support site (208).

I have posted a screenshot of my bios, is the one currently installed already the most recent up to date bios? And if it is, why is the speed still throttling when unplugging the power cord.

Also, does anyone know why on the left side it doesnt show proper drive names (eg. C:/, D:/, USB)

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

zalbard
Level 8
Look at your current BIOS, you already have 208...

nagooro
Level 7
On the asus support website it says the 208 update stops the cpu speed from throttling. Yet mine still seems to do that. Which is why I'm confused.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
nagooro wrote:
When my JX is plugged in the speed is around 3.30GHz, when I unplug it, it drops down to about ~1GHz. From my understanding the new bios would fix this throttling, correct?

I have posted a screenshot of my bios, is the one currently installed already the most recent up to date bios? And if it is, why is the speed still throttling when unplugging the power cord.

Your performance on battery power with the 208 bios should automatically increase as soon as you run something more demanding, so try this if you haven't already since the system is trying to save your battery life when you're unplugged and aren't doing anything special ("it's smart").
Don't forget to change your Power4Gear Hybrid setting if installed to 'performance'.

The difference would be a lot more obvious if you compared with the 207 bios, but since you already have the 208 bios, you may just want to take our word for it and verify that you're able to game satisfactorily on battery power.

nagooro wrote:

Also, does anyone know why on the left side it doesnt show proper drive names (eg. C:/, D:/, USB)
Thanks!

Haven't heard anything official, but my guess is that your hard drive has some additional secret or hidden partitions (without drive letters which you can see in Disk Management) that appear when running this utility.
Anyway, I usually just browse all the 'FS' (file system?) folders to find the one that I'm looking for which is usually the third or fourth one.

villiansv
Level 11
My suggestion is to just uninstall asus power4gear and keep the laptop on the balanced windows plan. Performance when you need it, with full downthrottle when idle. No need for extra apps doing what windows already does well.

edit: I think your issue is that if you have power4gear installed, on battery the laptop will only go above 0.8GHz when in the high performance plan (or whatever it's called). Can't confirm, though, as I don't use it.