cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitor will not turn on after a BIOS tweak!

Retired
Not applicable
Hello everyone, I felt that this was the best place for me to come to as it has already helped me out with various problems I have had with my G73. Essentially, my problem today is that my laptop's monitor will not turn on at boot, however, It clearly is powered with the fans spinning and the lights (excluding keyboard) on. The last thing that I had done before this problem was disabling my touch pad in the BIOS. All I did was disable it, and then just save, exit, and reboot to be welcomed with an unresponsive monitor. So far I have only tried pulling out the AC and battery and pressing the little reset button with a paper clip (supposedly resets BIOS). I also tried doing the method of hitting the power button 5-10 times. Tomorrow, I plan on getting one of my external monitors in the attic so I can find out if this is all because of some lose wire, or something way more serious. A last resort is to open up my laptop and reset the CMOS battery. If anyone has any information on how I can resolve with problem will be greatly appreciated.

ALSO - Instead of having all for LED activity indicator lights lit up on the front of the laptop, only the one with the lightbulb and the battery show up. The CPU LED only comes on for a little bit at boot, but then goes out. The Caps and Nums lock that usually just flash at boot just stay lit up forever while the monitor is blank. These lead me to believe that this could be a problem a little more complex that a loose wire.

Thanks in advance
6 REPLIES 6

Chastity
Level 10
I would try using the external and see if you can get into the BIOS and reset it to defaults. After confirming it works, then make your edits.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
Well it seems that hooking up my external monitor is not working either. It looks like the only options that I have left is to either reset the CMOS or just RMA it. Which should I do?

Chastity
Level 10
I don't know how competent you are at opening the chassis. 🙂
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
Well you know I have opened it up time to time to clear all the dust build-up and do know to refer to that useful video on disassembling the laptop haha, and I have all the tools at my disposal to do it except for the anti static wrist thing 😄

EDIT - Ok I'm looking at the battery right now, I'll tell you guys if it worked or not when I get the thing all put back together.

xeromist
The anti-static isn't critical if you don't generally have high static problems where you are working. Just make sure that you touch something grounded before you touch anything sensitive in the machine. Once you've discharged just don't shuffle around and you shouldn't build any charge. Oh, and perhaps avoid the polyester suit and wool socks. I know it's tempting but just stick to cotton while you're working 😄
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
YAY! Reseating the battery seemed to have done it, I am so happy to have this resolved and wanted to thank you both again for the help :DD!