cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building a new gaming rig. Any advice??

deejay14
Level 7
sup guys. i just want to ask advice and get information as much as i can on building and choosing pc components for my rig.
im plan on using my rig for gaming most of the time but still a good workstation.

i want to max out my settings for GW2 and prolly want to OC to 4.5 Ghz but im also going to be playing high end games with this rig.

what i have in mind:
CM storm stryker ( got it already ) with 4 noctua 120mm fans and stock fans
ASUS Maximus VI formula
intel i7 4770k haswell 3.5 Ghz
G. skill 32 GB 2400 Mhz
MSI geforce gtx 760 4GB OC Twin Frozr
Corsair HX850 (should i go higher since im planning to overclock in a few months?)
2 TB Western Digital HDD
ASUS 23" monitor
Corsair k90 keyboard ( got it already )
Corsair m90 mouse
XSPC water cooling kit + 2 more 240 rads.

What are your suggestions guys..
9 REPLIES 9

fbm211
Level 7
Why not a gtx 770 at least.
Maximus VII Apex
Intel i7 10700k @ 5GHZ
Custom Water Cooling
Patriot Viper Steel 4400 17-17-17-36-300-2t
GeForce RTX 2080 Hydro Copper
WD Black NVMe 750 500g
Seasonic Focus GX-850
Lian LI O11D XL
Dell S3220DF Monitor
Vanatoo T 0s speaker system
ROG mouse
Audio Technica ATH-AD 2000x headphones
AE-9 Sound Blaster

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, deejay14.

The only important component that's missing from your setup is a SSD, mate. That's the only missing piece in your high end setup. With your budget, you should at least aim for a 256GB SSD.

deejay14
Level 7
But what about the water cooling.. how much power do I really need? I cant decide if I need to spend a lot on my psu.. im think 2 240 rads

Chino
Level 15

deejay14
Level 7
i see.. now about the memory.. because im planning to get a quad channel kit 32GB 2400mhz g skill trident. but i kinda spent some money and now im cutting on the budget... so now i want to get a dual channel kit 16GB 2x8gb g skill trident 2400mhz.. can i just add another
16GB later on? and will it have the same performance??

Chino
Level 15
There is never a 100% guarantee that combining two identical kits will work well together. But performance wise, yeah they'd be the same. As a sidenote, 16GB of lightning fast 2400MHz RAM is more than enough for gaming.

deejay14
Level 7
oh i see, but which RAMs are better.. skill tridents or ripjaws x .?? both 2400mhz, but i saw on the info of tridents that they are build to perform better with a z77 motherboard or a 3rd gen cpu,

deejay14 wrote:
oh i see, but which RAMs are better.. skill tridents or ripjaws x .?? both 2400mhz, but i saw on the info of tridents that they are build to perform better with a z77 motherboard or a 3rd gen cpu,

Both will perform equally good given that they are both quality kits. But I favor the TridentX Over the Ripjaws X only because they look cooler and blend in very well with the ROG colors.

Oh! And I have the TridentX with my MVIH and the kit works without any hiccups.

Btw.. I just found out that they have aluminum on motherboard M6F . That might affect the durability of the mobo no? And if im gonna use the cooler on the mobo.. Do i need to put silver in there to prevent corrosion ??