cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consistent Overclock Crashes

mag3966
Level 7
I am leaving the post here in this forum as I do not know where else it belongs. I keep getting crashes on my machine which I have overclocked to 4400 from 3200. This is on a Rampage IV Extreme. What usually happens is that when I turn my computer on let's say in the morning after it has been off all night it boots fine but after about 15-20 minutes of use, the screen just goes blank and has whatever the background color was on the screen at the time. Nothing works at that point and I reboot. Upon reboot, post will say that overclocking failed and prompts me to go into bios. I merely click F1 and then F10 and it then boots fine back to the desktop. The computer is then fine for any number of hours and then it does the same thing again. Heat does not seem to be a problem as I have coretemp running and it does not report any issues. I also used hwinfo64 to monitor the system and created a log file which was running at crash time, but I cannot quite make out if it is useful or not (too much data therein). I personally don't think that it is overclocking at all as the culprit as these crashes have happened even when I am not overclocking. Sensors did give me a couple of weird quick messages (at different times) which flashed in the lower right of the screen and may or may not be the problem/symptom 1) Vcore 0.042 volts; the other message just said +3.3v.

My system is Win. 8.1; 2 monitors - one at 2560x1440 and the other 1920x1200; 16gb ram; 2 ssd drives; 3 harddrives; video card is NVidia GeForce gtx 770; powersupply is 750.

I have run memtest64 for several hours and the memory seems to check out fine. I have also run msi kombuster to stress my video card and it checks out as well. Running prime95 also does not present any problems. To be honest, I am not quite sure what else to check to narrow it down. Any help or guidance is appreciated. Thanks. mag
26 REPLIES 26

Zka17
Level 16
Welcome to the ROG Forum!

Please, be advised that having multiple applications pulling the sensors may cause misreadings... I'm assuming that you have the Ai Suite installed... - that with the hwinfo and coretemp together is already a problem... You have to choose a single application and stick to that...

Sincerely, at this moment I would get rid of Ai Suite as per this guide: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34503-AI-Suite-III-Cleaner

Zka17 wrote:
Welcome to the ROG Forum!

Please, be advised that having multiple applications pulling the sensors may cause misreadings... I'm assuming that you have the Ai Suite installed... - that with the hwinfo and coretemp together is already a problem... You have to choose a single application and stick to that...

Sincerely, at this moment I would get rid of Ai Suite as per this guide: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34503-AI-Suite-III-Cleaner

Thanks ZKA17 for your reply. I am certainly not wedded to any of the monitoring programs so if it will help in diagnosing the problem I will certainly get rid of the aisuite. But, I don't know if I was clear in my initial post, however, I only started using core temp and hwinfo after the crashing starting occurring so at least for those two programs they could not be the culprit. As far as aisuite is concerned, I presume it starts upon boot and runs in the background so no way to tell its culpability other than to uninstall it. Thanks again.

As a followup, I have uninstalled the aisuite and have used the cleaner to get all of it off the system, but the crash happened again this morning.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi mag3966 can you tell us exactly what RAM you have and if that is one kit or two kits....and how you are running it...XMP or manually setup...also how are you overclocking....offset or manual or auto voltage.

The weird warnings will definitely be AI suite acting up...do you have corsair link installed?

Have you tried clearing CMOS and setting F5 defaults and running the system at stock to see if the crashes still occur?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hi mag3966 can you tell us exactly what RAM you have and if that is one kit or two kits....and how you are running it...XMP or manually setup...also how are you overclocking....offset or manual or auto voltage.

The weird warnings will definitely be AI suite acting up...do you have corsair link installed?

Have you tried clearing CMOS and setting F5 defaults and running the system at stock to see if the crashes still occur?

The memory is corsair vengeance 16gb. 4 sticks total and the timings are 9 9 9 24.
I do not have corsair link installed and am not quite sure what that is.
I have tried clearing CMOS and setting it to defaults but the same occurs, which is why i don't think it is actually an overclocking problem.
My oc is manual not offset and running memory in xmp. (i believe) I am not in front of the machine so cannot check at the moment. Is there something re xmp vs manual settings on the memory that I should look out for when I get back to the machine? Also, same question re overclocking, is there something I should look out for there offset vs manual vs auto voltage? Thanks.

mag3966 wrote:
The memory is corsair vengeance 16gb. 4 sticks total and the timings are 9 9 9 24.
I do not have corsair link installed and am not quite sure what that is.

Hmm my immediate instinct when I hear Vengeance on R4E is to say "there's your problem"...there have been so many. I would really recommend trying some other DDR3 if you have any available. Corsair link is software... if you don't have it all good..

Not the only possibility of course....any clues in Event Viewer?

You don't say if it is one single kit or what frequency..etc...exact part number...all useful info. When you memtest86+d the RAM did you run the test at stock and at XMP?

XMP vs Manual...maybe manual would be better if you are trying to use two kits....XMP is only for one..http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25510-Rampage-IV-Extreme-RAM-Guide&country=&status=

Manual vs offset....while you are finding stability manual is fine...once you are up and running stably you can have a look at offset...don't worry about that for now.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hmm my immediate instinct when I hear Vengeance on R4E is to say "there's your problem"...there have been so many. Corsair link is software... if you don't have it all good..

You don't say if it is one single kit or what frequency..etc...exact part number...all useful info. When you memtest86+d the RAM did you run the test at stock and at XMP?

XMP vs Manual...maybe manual would be better if you are trying to use two kits....XMP is only for one..http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25510-Rampage-IV-Extreme-RAM-Guide&country=&status=

Manual vs offset....while you are finding stability manual is fine...once you are up and running stably you can have a look at offset...don't worry about that for now.

I know this will sound really really basic, but when you say single kit, what does that actually mean? When I bought the memory it came all together with 4 sticks. Does that mean it is one kit? Or does a kit designate one package (meaning 2 sticks in one package = 1 kit) even though the 2nd package is exactly the same.

The frequency of the memory is 1600 mhz.

It is unclear whether I ran the memtest with memory at stock or at xmp. I did not change anything in particular when I ran memtest at boot.

Below are the specs on the memory.

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz PC3 12800 Quad Channel 240-Pin Desktop Memory CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9G

HiVizMan
Level 40
Could you post a screen showing HWmonitor with the individual core temps expanded please, I would like to also see the voltages used.

Use one application to monitor temperature and voltages.

You do not list your memory so not really able to comment.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Could you post a screen showing HWmonitor with the individual core temps expanded please, I would like to also see the voltages used.

Use one application to monitor temperature and voltages.

You do not list your memory so not really able to comment.

Here are the screenshots.