cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual boot question

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
I remember reading about someone with the boot setup that I'm after (Google has been disappointing).

I would like my computer to boot straight to Windows by default, but I would like the option (hitting Esc?) to boot to Ubuntu whenever I need.

How does one go about setting up such a boot option?
3 REPLIES 3

HiVizMan
Level 40
Have you used the free version of EasyBCD before?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

billyray520
Level 10
Dr. Zchivago wrote:
I remember reading about someone with the boot setup that I'm after (Google has been disappointing).

I would like my computer to boot straight to Windows by default, but I would like the option (hitting Esc?) to boot to Ubuntu whenever I need.

How does one go about setting up such a boot option?

I have that setup on my MVE!

What I did was installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit to my second hdd (which is a 1 TB drive) I made a 150 GB partition at the end of the drive and put it there. Ubuntu put the bootloader on the 2nd hdd (the BIOS never goes there first) After it was all setup, I installed Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit on the first SSD drive (a 256 GB OCZ Vertex 4) If you have Windows already installed on the first drive, you can accomplish the same thing by removing the first drive while you install Ubuntu.

Now Windows 7 always boots up by default. To boot into Ubuntu I hit "F8" to get the boot menu and select my 2nd drive, and poof, Ubuntu appears! This way I don't have Ubuntu updates messing around with my first hdd MBR. (obviously I'm set up with MBR disks, not UEFI)

Good luck! :cool:
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

HiVizMan
Level 40
Elegantly simple than you billyray have repped you mate.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.