cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z87 Deluxe Power Up Question

geoffman
Level 7
Hey all, I've had a search around the forums and the web and can't seem to find a definitive answer to my question.

I recently built myself my Christmas present a new computer based on an ASUS Z-87 Deluxe Mobo, my system consists of the following:

Intel 4771 CPU
16 GB of Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M2A1866C9 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, plugged into slots A2 & B2 (The yellow ones)
A EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked 3GB plugged into the PCIe 3.0 x 16_1 slot
A Creative Sound Blaster Z plugged into PCIe 2.0 x1_1 slot
A Lite-On IHBS312 12x Blu-Ray Disc Writer
1 X Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD
2 X Western Digital WD Black WD2003FZEX 2TB HDD's
1 X Western Digital WD Black WD3003FZEX 3TB HDD

All this is powered by a Corsair HX850 V2 PSU and the CPU is cooled by a Swiftech H220 AIO watercooler, all mounted in a Cooler Master Storm Trooper Case.

My question relates to how my system powers up. If I have turned off the PSU for any reason and then turn it back on, when I power my system up, the system will power up for 1 to 2 seconds, power down for a few seconds then power back up and POST/Boot into the OS.

If I haven't turned off the PSU and turn the system on the system will power up and POST/BOOT with cycling the power back off then on again (Which is what I expect).

Is it normal for this mobo to power up then down then back up when the AC power has been removed when turning the system on, or do I have some obscure problem? (This is the only system that I've had where this happens)
5 REPLIES 5

Praz
Level 13
geoffman wrote:
Is it normal for this mobo to power up then down then back up when the AC power has been removed when turning the system on

Yes this is normal behavior.

Praz,
Thanks very much for the reply, it has put my mind at rest knowing that this is normal behaviour. 🙂

Maybe ASUS could mention this in any manual updates they do?

geoffman wrote:
Praz,
Thanks very much for the reply, it has put my mind at rest knowing that this is normal behaviour. 🙂

Maybe ASUS could mention this in any manual updates they do?

There are options within the BIOS that tells the MB what to do in the event of sudden power loss.

Praz
Level 13
You're welcome. 🙂

geoffman
Level 7
Richard,
If you are talking of the "Next Boot after AC Power Loss" options of NORMAL or FAST, I have tried both of these out and, at least for me have made no difference to the power on, then off, then on again cycle that my mobo goes through when PSU has been turned off.

Neither does enabling /disabling the "HW Fast Boot" option.

If you know of any specific options that would make a difference I would love to know them.

Cheers