cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW Fn Keys Not Working For Screen Brightness In Linux?

SlackROG
Level 10
Anyone by chance have the Fn keys F5 & F6 working for the screen brighness in Linux?

I read that the screen brightness is controlled by a driver in Windows, but not sure how accurate that information is...

I manually tried to change the brightness but it doesn't do anything;

echo 5 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

When you can't manually change the brightness there's not much hope, xbacklight also doesn't work.

I've spent a lot of time on this, but don't see it working in Linux, I also tried the latest versions of Mint & Ubuntu and it doesn't work in either of these distros.

Anyone have any luck?
7 REPLIES 7

rewben
Level 13
tried nvidiabl? source: http://www.linlap.com/asus_g75vw

SlackROG
Level 10
Hi rewben, well I've looked at it a little before, but it's been written for Debian based distros, so not sure if this will work, since I don't use a Debian based distro.

I'm waiting back to hear on this from the developer...

Thanks

rewben
Level 13
oh ok. maybe you need to get your hands dirty a little 🙂

i use rhel and it's only for servers with remote consoles. if you're using slackware, this might be a place for you to get started.

SlackROG
Level 10
I'm not starting out in Linux or Slackware if that is what you meant, 13 yr. Slackware Geek, WoOT! 🙂 LOL...

Oh I've been hacking around on it, let you know how it goes.

As I mentioned I think the backlight is through a driver in Windows. I'm not even sure it's controlled by Nvidia.

On my box I'll only get these two paths;

/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/
/sys/class/backlight/asus-wmi-nb

nvidiabl seems to work with; /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/

Cheers

rewben
Level 13
sorry i have no idea what that is 😕

maybe there are some other people who run linux on a g-series can give you better hints.

SlackROG
Level 10
No worries I'm hacking away trying to work it out...

Cheers

Sandman007
Level 7
I use Arch Linux on my G46vw. Everything works for me after MUCH MUCH hacking 🙂 The only thing not working for me is HDMI audio. HDMI video works fine. Not much I can do about that however because of how the Nvidia GPU is wired to the mobo :(. Anyway enough about me :). I would love to help you. I have a few questions however.

1. What distro are you using

2. What DE are you using?

3. And What kernel version are you running?

I am jus trying to figure out how I should get you to setup you config files and such. I really believe I can help you solve this as I took my G46 which had most things not working out of the box (HDMI borked/FN keys borked, Trackpad/keyboard backlights borked) and made it fully functional as a Daily Machine :). There were not even any guides for the G46vw or wiki pages :O. I am thinking about making one.
Asus G46vw
Intel® Core™ i5 3210M Processor
GTX 660m 2GB DDR5
8GB DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM,
750 GB 5400 HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate db Ubuntu 13.04