cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX-BBK7 LCD Upgrade

Retired
Not applicable
So I've decided that the 1600x900 resolution isn't enough for me and was thinking about picking up an after-market 1920x1080 panel and installing it.

All warranty invalidation aside, the best I can find is a G73JH panel that appears to be the same thing.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
7 REPLIES 7

Retired
Not applicable
i swear to god. asus owners have the craziest idea's for their notebooks nowadays o.0

Retired
Not applicable
Crazy? It's a very valid idea that should be relatively easy to do. The G74Sx by default comes with a 1920x1080 panel, with the Best Buy/lower end-value version being a 1600x900. It can't be much more than swapping out the panel...

I guess the point was why didnt you get a G74sx with 1080p screen in the first place? It will be more expensive getting a 1080p screen now, not to mebntion loosing your 2 year warranty...
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-Intel Core i7-2630QM Mobile Quad Processor
-Intel HM65 Express Chipset +ICH10
-17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz Anti-Glare Matte Screen
-nVidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
-nVidia 3D Vision Active Shutter Glasses
-Creative EAX Advanced HD 5.0
-THX TruStudio
-8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (Max 32GB)
-2x500 Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid HDD
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner
-Logitech Performance MX Darkfield Laser Mice
-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

-XBOX360, PS3, Wii

it can be done. the most difficult part of any lcd panel replacement is breaking the bezel around. the other hang you might run into is that the plug at the end of the lcd panel might be different. might be that part of saving money on that particular model is that a different revision of mother board might've been used.

other than that, just look around for 1080p panels. if it doesn't work you can always swap back.

Retired
Not applicable
I suppose I consider the cost savings to have come from the following:

-2GB of VRAM instead of 3GB
-2D vs 3D Panel
-1600x900 instead of 1920x1080 Panel
-No Bluetooth
-No Blu-ray
-Smaller HDDs (500s instead of 750s)

Combined that's enough to make up for the price difference. Even though over time buying low and upgrading may cost more than buying high to begin with, it allows you more flexibility in where you want to spend the $. For example, I can buy an SSD, add more RAM, eventually swap out for blu-ray, and maybe upgrade the LCD.

I replaced the screen on my G50V and it was extremely easy. As long as you know they have the same hookups. I've seen info that the G74 and G73 have interchangeable screen types, so I would suggest trying laptopscreen.com http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/ASUS/G73JH/ That's where I got my G50V screen. You can purchase return insurance for like 5 dollars in case it doesn't have the right connections some reason.
G74SX-XT1 / OCZ Agility 3 120GB / 16GB RAM
http://kouotsu.tumblr.com

companies tend to use the same LCD/LED across most of their laptop lines.

something i noticed when looking into doing this for my G51 was that soemtimes the cable used on the lower cost G51vx, was different than the cable used on it's high def brothers.

so if you were to buy a new panel and hook it up, and get green lines or, something else just weird, start looking to see if that cable has the right number of wires. from my understanding the ends were the same but the lower end models would have fewer wires, since they didn't have to support so many pixels.

cost for upgrading a g51vx from 1366x768 to a 1920x1080 panel was about $150. this would be worht it if it wasn't for the fact that i can pick up a used monitor or tv and run the hdmi out to it. then again, i'm probably not going to find a 1080p monitor for $150.