cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus g60jx video problems

speedzero
Level 7
Hi guys im sure this might have been covered already but ill try to explain as best as i can. So i have a Asus g60jx has the i5 430m, 4gb ram, 500 gig hd and the Nvidia GeForce GTS 360m card. What hs been going on is ill be on my laptop and all of a sudden it will freeze sometiems will get a balck scfreen and wont recover and sometiems a black screen with the message Nvidia driver stopped working and has recoverd. Now i had tried to roll back drivers, install new drivers, even install beta driver still doing the same thing. I reinstalled windows 7 ultimate x64 still same thing. Now, this does not happen when i dont have the video drivers installed from fresh windows install, works great like that. WTF is causing this, i check the temps and they are somewhere around 44c with browsing and video watching. What is the issue i had tried everything online that is shown and still has issues.
2 REPLIES 2

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Sounds like there is an issue with the video card. If I am correct in my understanding that the card does not crash when you do not have the NVidia drivers installed (and are therefore using the Microsoft VGA drivers), then I am guessing that the video card is starting to fail. The VGA drivers don't exercise anywhere near all the features of the card, so that's a consideration as to why a failed component of the card isn't touched when using only the VGA drivers.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

speedzero
Level 7
If that is the case is it even worth replacing the card since it costs around 160 bucks? If thats the case what type of chip can i upgrade and what kind of card can i put in there? Also can it be possible that it being low on thermal or old thermal paste can cause this issue. I seen the temps kinda jump up right before the freeze or black screen.