cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to futureproof our notebooks?

JDS
Level 7
Since the release of the G750 I have been feeling quite insignificant, considering the G750 seems to be a much better laptop. Now, that isn't bad, because that means progress is being made, but how can I/we prevent our current laptops from becoming overwhelmed in the future? What do you do to keep your unit running quickly and smoothly? And how can I get mine running at its highest potential?
Asus G75V
nVidia GTX 670M
i7 3630QM at 2.4Ghz
12 GB Memory
750 HDD (500 HDD + 250 SSD)
Windows 8 Pro
14 REPLIES 14

rewben
Level 13
unfortunately, there are no 'best' way to futureproof gaming laptops. imo there are 2 routes that you can choose from to keep up with gaming demands:

1. changing laptops often (ideally every year); or
2. get a laptop that allows you to customize, so you can change parts often.

both routes have their own pros and cons.

the advantages of the the first route:
a) you get a new laptop every year (yay);
b) you get all brand new hardware components (everything is new).

normally people will sell off the 'old' laptop (while it still has values), top some money up to get a new one.

as for the second route, you can either get a base model that is working for current games, or the highest end that can last for 3 years (make sure they come with parts warranty, especially the mobo). you will perform upgrades as and when needed. this way you can stay with the same laptop for 3 to 5 years. customizations are the advantages (you can swap parts whenever you want. just bear in mind that after market upgrades are usually expensive). again, you must be sure that key components, like mobo, can last that long (with all the gaming abuses hehe).

you see, both routes make you do the same thing: spend more in the name of keeping up with the latest gaming demands. (if you're so keen on gaming, i think it makes more sense to get a decent gaming desktop)

jmhdj
Level 10
I curently have my g73sw that is over 3 years and am very satisfied with it. I have upgraded almost all on it though, however it was cheaper then to buy new one. I have upgraded screen, dvd to bd drive, hdd to Samsung 256gb ssd, cpu to 2860qm, ram to 1600mhz and at last gpu to 680m :).
I dont intend to replace my machine for atleast 2 more years and are still capable playing all New games on very high. So I believe I have spared some money on choosing this route instead to upgrading and suffering from all troubless that g750 owners do.
Here is my 3dmark11 score with current setup: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7630058

jmhdj wrote:
I curently have my g73sw that is over 3 years and am very satisfied with it. I have upgraded almost all on it though, however it was cheaper then to buy new one. I have upgraded screen, dvd to bd drive, hdd to Samsung 256gb ssd, cpu to 2860qm, ram to 1600mhz and at last gpu to 680m :).
I dont intend to replace my machine for atleast 2 more years and are still capable playing all New games on very high. So I believe I have spared some money on choosing this route instead to upgrading and suffering from all troubless that g750 owners do.
Here is my 3dmark11 score with current setup: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7630058

yeah older g-series can do that. latest models can't 😕 (there is a limit to upgrades; i can only use my g55 for work purposes now. i use other machines to play games).

i wish asus can make their gaming laptops like older models.

I have a g73sw too and been using it for 3 years now, and I also want to upgrade my gpu to 770m or 680m, is there a way you could share a guide on how you did it? Or how can we get a hold of your modded bios for the g73sw to make those high end cards work?thanks.

JDS
Level 7
How did you manage to upgrade the GPU? From what I hear, that is near impossible. Also, I would get a desktop, but I'm a broke college student that travels bavk and forth, so a desktop isn't until I settle down.
Asus G75V
nVidia GTX 670M
i7 3630QM at 2.4Ghz
12 GB Memory
750 HDD (500 HDD + 250 SSD)
Windows 8 Pro

jmhdj
Level 10
Actualy older models aren't hassle free for gpu upgrades either. I had to use older g73jh modell gpu heatsink for dell 680m gpu. And there are video bios incompatibility that was biggest obstacle to upgrade but once I managed to get over that one this machine became beast in disguise :).
As far as I am avare I am only one in whole world with g73sw upgraded to 680m. After have learned much about how bios/vbios works on this machine I am sure it is possible upgrading even to 780m. But that would really push cooling capabilities to its limits.
PS. Also I forget to mention that I have upgraded charger to to 240 watt one.

jmhdj wrote:
Actualy older models aren't hassle free for gpu upgrades either. I had to use older g73jh modell gpu heatsink for dell 680m gpu. And there are video bios incompatibility that was biggest obstacle to upgrade but once I managed to get over that one this machine became beast in disguise :).
As far as I am avare I am only one in whole world with g73sw upgraded to 680m. After have learned much about how bios/vbios works on this machine I am sure it is possible upgrading even to 780m. But that would really push cooling capabilities to its limits.
PS. Also I forget to mention that I have upgraded charger to to 240 watt one.

oh; now i wish i have skills like yours lol!

jmhdj
Level 10
I have another one g73sw that is upgraded to 770m and considering putting it on ebay. what would be resonable price for it?

SpasTaz0917
Level 7
I have this urge to strangle you jmhdj... the envy is great here 😛

since Asus have these lovely proprietary GPU's on G75VW and I can't even find a single Asus' proprietary 670MX on Ebay..
I am pretty bummed out about it 😛
rig: Impact VII / 4790K / Crucial Ballistix SP 16GB 1600Mhz/ 256GB 850 Pro
Corsair AX760 / H105 AIO Watercooling / Bitfenix Prodigy
laptop: G75VW 3630QM / 670m /16GB RAM / 256GB 840 Pro + 750gb/ BD drive
Gaming OC for 670m 750/1750