cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Longevity of G46VW

Sparater
Level 7
Hello all, I have a question for you guys. I was wondering what was the average lifespan for the stock G46VW? Im just curious as when I first got the laptop the battery died on me within a month, and I got a new one as I was told it was a defect. How long should I expect the laptop to last, and I am curious on peoples' experiences with the battery lifespan, or some other problem that caused the laptop to malfunction.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Clintlgm
Level 14
Notebooks usually last me 3 years, relatives have used some of my old NB for years more. I've only had 2 die on me my first a Sager don't remember the model it came with a DOS 6.2 disk and a windows disk never did work for more than a few days at a time after about 8 months I did get my money back. And my Asus M70sa the Video card crapped out after only 4 years. The G46 have only been in existence a year or so, I don't think well get much of a running record for another couple of years. any NB can have problems I've had a Toshiba and 4 gateways and they all had one problem or another over the years. OS have been the worst problems Windows 95 was crazy insane finally Windows 2000 came along the first windows OS that actually worked, Hardware problems happen, most people never experience them. Then again the first Pentium processor had an error in it most of us had to take our NB in to have that fixed. Being here in this forum most of the issues I've seen with the G46 has been people trying to upgrade them to SSD's etc.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Notebooks usually last me 3 years, relatives have used some of my old NB for years more. I've only had 2 die on me my first a Sager don't remember the model it came with a DOS 6.2 disk and a windows disk never did work for more than a few days at a time after about 8 months I did get my money back. And my Asus M70sa the Video card crapped out after only 4 years. The G46 have only been in existence a year or so, I don't think well get much of a running record for another couple of years. any NB can have problems I've had a Toshiba and 4 gateways and they all had one problem or another over the years. OS have been the worst problems Windows 95 was crazy insane finally Windows 2000 came along the first windows OS that actually worked, Hardware problems happen, most people never experience them. Then again the first Pentium processor had an error in it most of us had to take our NB in to have that fixed. Being here in this forum most of the issues I've seen with the G46 has been people trying to upgrade them to SSD's etc.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Yeah the most frequent topic about the G46 on here is about the SSD and then upgrading RAM. I have not heard of any laptops dying out yet. This is my first laptop that I own personally. My sister has gone through 2 laptops, one Dell and one HP(she's still using her HP). The Dell's motherboard died randomly after 2.5 years, and the HP is still doing decently.

Do laptop batteries only last for about 2 years? My sister's HP laptop battery just died recently, after about 2-3 years of use.
If the G46's battery dies out, will it be a pain changing it? (Being non-removable)

rewben
Level 13
with proper usage and simple maintenance, normal low-end laptops can last for a long time (3 years or more). gaming laptops can last more.

i still have a 5-year-old low-end laptop that runs well. i keep it because no one wants it (it's very slow now; but still good for light word processing, web-based activities, etc). i will have the cmos battery replaced later.

some years ago, batteries in a laptop normally were the first to go (depending on your usage; normally lasts for 1 year). these days manufacturers have mechanisms to prolong the lifespan of laptop batteries, but please bear in mind that they still have limited charge cycles, and they still might be the first to go.

if you really need to replace it in a g46, i guess it's better to ask for help from asus service center (unless you're confident that you tear it down and do it yourself)

Greetings.

Even if this thread is quite old, I just wanted to post accurate info on proven longevity of this laptop.
I bought my G46VW in Agust 2013. That's 5 years and a half.
It is still running, and it is still good for gaming.