cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load Line Calibration & CPU Capability need HELP

k___x
Level 7
Hi guys I need HELP PLEASE. I have currently set my cpu to 4.5 GHz but its not stable. LLC is set to Extreme and the CPU Capability 160%. What do you recommend me to do? I think Capability is too high please help. My voltage is 1.360 but it shows higher in CPU-Z, Windows can't start at lower voltage but when I change the LLC and CPU Capability everything crashesh. Should I put LLC on ultra-high or put down capability down? And please explain me how this things work PLEASE.
If some1 clocked his 4930k to 4.5 GHz or more please share with me all settings so I could try too 🙂
Currently I have overcloked it to 4.3 GHz with 1.320 V but in full load it shows 1.376 if that helps (LLC- Extreme, CPU Capability - 160%)
PS: My motherboard is Rampage IV Black Edition and cooling Corsair H110, CPU i7-4930k.
25 REPLIES 25

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmmm It is pretty much recommended to stay away from the high end of LLC. really Medium is where you want to be for 24/7 OCing. LLC overides vdroop which is a protective measure against voltage/current surges at load or transitioning to load. LLC to HIgh I believe counters Vdroop and LLCsettings above that are actually countering and adding more voltage. I have never personally set anything more than High even going for high clocks.

Current capability is pretty much that allows greater current to CPU allows greater power consumption...as you can guess maybe 120 130% is Ok for 24/7 use higher I wouldn't be comfortable with unless doing short bench runs etc.

It is a horrible thing sometimes but maybe the CPU is just not going to clock where you might like...often it is best to listen to the CPU and run it where it's more comfortable.

If you BSOD with less CurCAp or LLC what are the codes thrown up?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

If you BSOD with less CurCAp or LLC what are the codes thrown up?

I don't understand you 😞

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
Arne means:
You say you have instability when you "change the LLC and CPU Capability everything crashes." BSOD? What is the 0x00... code when that happens?

When you put LLC to extreme the voltage drops too much when your CPU is idle, in idle C states, so it will become unstable at idle. Extreme LLC is only for those who have disabled C states and therefore don't care about idle power draw. You should have at least C3 enabled normally, and LLC to only about Medium or Regular. If your system becomes unstable when you do this, then your OC is not stable, meaning you need to drop your CPU speed and re-OC it; perhaps from scratch. Are you schooled in how to do this? You cannot just plug in other ppl's numbers and expect it to work right. OCing is done by increasing the speed slowly and testing CPU stability and fully loaded temperature over time with each step.

Tips (my BIOS is older than yours):
Setting up the memory stable is the trickiest part - be sure to verify W/Memtest bfr building Windows. Read the OC guide BIOS settings on the sticky here:

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - UEFI Guide for Overclocking
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5835-ASUS-Rampage-IV-Extreme-UEFI-Guide-for-Overclocking
It will explain the settings better than most other places.

• Set Clock gen filter to enabled
  • DO NOT raise Bclck nor change CPU strap (leave at 100)

Digi-Power control options:

• Set CPU Load-line calibration to Medium
  • Set CPU Current capability (OCP, OverCurrent Protection) to 140%.
  • VCCSA Load-line calibration: "regular"
  • Set DRAM-xx Current capability to 130%
  • Set DRAM-xx Power phase control to "optimized."

Advanced menu.

• CPU power management submenu:
  • Set C1E; C3, C6 report all to "enabled" to insure proper downclocking to save energy/heat. This hasn't interfered with my OC.
  • Set Turbo ratio. Try 42 first.
  • Recheck memory speed in BIOS before booting out of BIOS.

More tips:
Don't raise Vcore if you can help it. Raise VCCSA instead, only when necessary of course; only up to 1.3V. You shouldn't have to raise Vcore for your low OC level.

I wish good luck for you. Happy Overclocking.
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

HalloweenWeed wrote:
Arne means:
You say you have instability when you "change the LLC and CPU Capability everything crashes." BSOD? What is the 0x00... code when that happens?

When you put LLC to extreme the voltage drops too much when your CPU is idle, in idle C states, so it will become unstable at idle. Extreme LLC is only for those who have disabled C states and therefore don't care about idle power draw. You should have at least C3 enabled normally, and LLC to only about Medium or Regular. If your system becomes unstable when you do this, then your OC is not stable, meaning you need to drop your CPU speed and re-OC it; perhaps from scratch. Are you schooled in how to do this? You cannot just plug in other ppl's numbers and expect it to work right. OCing is done by increasing the speed slowly and testing CPU stability and fully loaded temperature over time with each step.

Tips (my BIOS is older than yours):
Setting up the memory stable is the trickiest part - be sure to verify W/Memtest bfr building Windows. Read the OC guide BIOS settings on the sticky here:

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - UEFI Guide for Overclocking
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5835-ASUS-Rampage-IV-Extreme-UEFI-Guide-for-Overclocking
It will explain the settings better than most other places.

• Set Clock gen filter to enabled
  • DO NOT raise Bclck nor change CPU strap (leave at 100)

Digi-Power control options:

• Set CPU Load-line calibration to Medium
  • Set CPU Current capability (OCP, OverCurrent Protection) to 140%.
  • VCCSA Load-line calibration: "regular"
  • Set DRAM-xx Current capability to 130%
  • Set DRAM-xx Power phase control to "optimized."

Advanced menu.

• CPU power management submenu:
  • Set C1E; C3, C6 report all to "enabled" to insure proper downclocking to save energy/heat. This hasn't interfered with my OC.
  • Set Turbo ratio. Try 42 first.
  • Recheck memory speed in BIOS before booting out of BIOS.

More tips:
Don't raise Vcore if you can help it. Raise VCCSA instead, only when necessary of course; only up to 1.3V. You shouldn't have to raise Vcore for your low OC level.

I wish good luck for you. Happy Overclocking.

Just applied these changes to my 4930k and Rampage IV Black, not one restart in almost 3 hours!! THANKS!!!

HiVizMan
Level 40
Weed good to see you again dude, I know you have been pretty busy but compliments to you and yours from me mate. And of course thanks for helping out.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
k.!.x wrote:
I don't understand you 😞

Sorry k.!.x.....speaking in code...hehe....what HalloweenWeed said....:o

k___x
Level 7
Ok guys I think I understand but not sure will test it today after couple of hours. Can you tell me how to take screenshots from BIOS so I could share with you if I need more special help on smth please?

Chino
Level 15
Connect an USB pendrive to your motherboard. Use the F12 key while you're in the BIOS. It will automatically save to your pendrive.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40