cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam doesn't install required drivers for games

Nirvasher
Level 7
I think I have tried everything by now. I have reinstalled the games from Steam, I have run the built in "Verify Game Cache Files" system for the games. I have reinstalled the whole Steam-client. I have run Steam with administrator rights, and I have even reinstalled Windows 8.1 with so few drivers as possible. BUT! I can't get Steam to work properly. So CS: Go can't even start up, and Portal 2 just dies when I get to the title screen. It was really clear that it was a problem with the drivers installing when I tried to run Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon and it complained that uPlay (Ubisofts client that needs to be installed to run their games) wasn't installed. When I manually installed UPlay the game was able to run, but Steam is supposed to do that by itself!(!?)
And because running Steam with administrator rights makes no difference I thought, maybe it's the built-in firewall? But nope, Steam and all the games were all "accepted".

I have a brand new PC with these specs (built it myself);

• Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
  • CPU: Intel i7 4770K
  • GPU: Asus Nvidia GTX 760 DCU 2 2GB
  • RAM: 8GB 1600 Mhz
  • OS (W8.1) is installed on a 120GB SSD, also Steam is installed on this drive
  • Games are installed on a 1TB HDD

The drivers I have installed are:

• The latest graphic card driver from Nvidia
  • Intel(R) Management Engine Interface V9.5.14.1724
  • Intel Chipset Driver V9.4.0.1026

I haven't overclocked anything, and I have made no changes to the BIOS-settings.

Everything else on the computer is working perfectly. And before I reinstalled W8.1, I installed all the drivers from Asus for the motherboard but with the same problem with Steam.

The games are all running fine (fine as in, you can play them) on my 5 year old computer that also has W8.1.
So now I'm turning to you guys, what is wrong with my computer? What can I do?

Thanks in advance!
6 REPLIES 6

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, Nirvasher.

Here is a list of what games usually require and is installed as a compliment during the installation.
1. DirectX
2. Microsoft .NET Framework
3. Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable/Runtime

Chino wrote:
Welcome to the ROG forums, Nirvasher.

Here is a list of what games usually require and is installed as a compliment during the installation.
1. DirectX
2. Microsoft .NET Framework
3. Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable/Runtime

Thank you, Chino!

Before the reinstall of W8.1, I asked Steam Support and they told me this;
Please download and install the latest DirectX update, available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displa...

Also, please download and install the latest version of PhysX, available here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_system_software.html

Then, please install the latest Visual C++ run-time components, as described in the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259403

If you have not already done so, please install the following .NET framework software packages:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=AB99342F-5D1A-413D-8319-81DA479AB0D7&displa...

-and-

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9cfb2d51-5ff4-4491-b0e5-b386f32c0992&displa...

And I did as I was told, but It didn't have any effect on the games. But still, the Steam client should install these automatically as it did on my older system.

Akreontage
Level 10
You know Gabe called w8+ disaster. Maybe that's what he was talking about?
But anyway, you can go to \Steam\SteamApps\common\game\redist and install the required dependencies from there. "Redist" folder name may vary or may not even exist. There may be folders called Directx/Physx/etc. Sorry if that won't help you.
Corsair Carbide 500R | Asus Rampage IV Formula | i7-3930k 4.4Ghz | Corsair Vengeance 32Gb 1600Mhz 9cl | Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8G | Samsung 850 Evo | WD1002FAEX | Antec HCP-1200 | NZXT Kraken x62

Antronman
Level 10
w8+ was called a disaster for other reasons. At the time, Valve was unsure whether or not Windows 8 was going to have certain updates that would make shared gaming very difficult. Along with this, I've been having the same problem on Windows 7. The client doesn't auto-update my games or install the required drivers until I have tried starting up the game a couple of times. The steam servers are always being finicky.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Akreontage
Level 10
Since I have never had such problems I might conclude that it's something to do with download servers. My steam client detects sweden as closest download server and it is super fine. Try changing download region manually from steam>settings>downloads>download region.
Also I have never noticed that steam downloaded any drivers for me. It only updates directx/c++ and other api, so maybe you should install all your drivers manually first? I actually have never installed any games on my pc before I install all my drivers/windows updates/etc first. So can't tell if steam installs suited drivers (if at all).

Also if you have multiple users on your pc you have to run your game as an administrator for the first time since directx vc++ etc require administrator privileges.
Corsair Carbide 500R | Asus Rampage IV Formula | i7-3930k 4.4Ghz | Corsair Vengeance 32Gb 1600Mhz 9cl | Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8G | Samsung 850 Evo | WD1002FAEX | Antec HCP-1200 | NZXT Kraken x62

abvolt
Level 11
Thats a really weird problem you've got I've had steam for years now and never had that happen. Maybe it is win 8 sorry dude that sucks.
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20