cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bios stable

LOUISAROG
Level 7
The version of the BIOS which is more stable and that does not cause problems.
23 REPLIES 23

haihane
Level 13
i can only speak for myself.

Crosshair 5 formula-Z, bios 1503, to run my TridentX memory sticks @2400 MHz.
newer version bios-es just fail to resume from sleep state.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I liked the 1503 version too. But it is really up to the individual hardware mix.

The key with bios is not to keep chasing the latest bios, find one that works for you and just enjoy your system.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
To start with you will att a minimum you need to select a BIOS which supports your CPU. Beyond that the BIOS version that you select more or less will be based on the following key points:

- system configuration: each of our system utilize different hardware so what works for you may not work for me (I seem to have random BSOD with BIOS version 1801). Haihane's comment regarding supporting a specific type of memory is also a good example of hardware needs drving BIOS version

- how you use your computer: generally most of the people (I think) that own the ROG motherboards are Overclockers so they would like a BIOS that support more/wider ranger of OCing features; then some of us simply are looking for a stable BIOS for our needs.

I know that you were seeking a simple response (sorry for my long response) but again the BIOS that will work for you depends on your system. Generally I personally do update the BIOS to a more current version and work my way down from there if I do encounter issues.

Let us know what works for you-Brian

PS: I'm using 170?

Opps: Look like HiVizMan already posted: )

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

TheNerdBench wrote:
To start with you will att a minimum you need to select a BIOS which supports your CPU. Beyond that the BIOS version that you select more or less will be based on the following key points:

- system configuration: each of our system utilize different hardware so what works for you may not work for me (I seem to have random BSOD with BIOS version 1801). Haihane's comment regarding supporting a specific type of memory is also a good example of hardware needs drving BIOS version

- how you use your computer: generally most of the people (I think) that own the ROG motherboards are Overclockers so they would like a BIOS that support more/wider ranger of OCing features; then some of us simply are looking for a stable BIOS for our needs.

I know that you were seeking a simple response (sorry for my long response) but again the BIOS that will work for you depends on your system. Generally I personally do update the BIOS to a more current version and work my way down from there if I do encounter issues.

Let us know what works for you-Brian

PS: I'm using 170?

Opps: Look like HiVizMan already posted: )

Sorry to inform you guys a new 1901 bios was released today. Before you recommend any other bios, since this one is for stability issues, I would recommend checking it out . It may have corrected the issues with 1701 and 1801.

os2wiz wrote:
Sorry to inform you guys a new 1901 bios was released today. Before you recommend any other bios, since this one is for stability issues, I would recommend checking it out . It may have corrected the issues with 1701 and 1801.

i might give it a try, but not anytime soon. i don't want to reconfigure the memory timings, the individual selection manually again and again.

don't get me wrong, i don't mind to be guinea pig for bios, especially it's for the sake of my own system. just that, for the 7th and 8th time doing it, manually checking my written notes in regards to each setting and inputting it like it should after every bios reflash (the neverending quest to find the perfect bios), i do get tired of it pretty quickly.

i love 1503, it plays nice with G.Skill's TridentX. if only there was an easier way to restore bios settings after each reflash (my previous saved settings was completely wiped out every reflash), i'll be a very happy guinea tester 🙂
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Really? I just checked to see if a new BIOS was posted on Friday and didn't see one.

Just to clarify I wasn't recommending any specific BIOS which I thought was apparent by my post 🙂

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

HiVizMan
Level 40
So which bios did you go with in the end?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Sgthawker
Level 7
I am also liking the 1503 UEFI with my TridentX memory, and properly coming out of sleep with no issues.
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | AMD FX 8350 | G.Skill TridentX 2400 16G | Asus Matrix GTX 580 Platinum | Sandisk Extreme SSD 480GB | SB X-Fi Titanium HD | Asus VG248QE | Corsair AX860i PSU | Lian-Li PC-V1200 | Win 7 Pro x64 | Zalman CNPS 9900 Maxx

LOUISAROG
Level 7
I have PC, the call as a workstation for games and 3D design, RENDERS32929

ASUS CROSSHAIR V design FORMULA
AMD PHENOM II X 6 110
12 GB CORSAIR DDR3 1600
XFX R7870 2 GB CDFC
THELMARTAKE 650 WATTS
COOLER MASTER CM STORM
COOLER MASTER V6 GT