cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula-Z Won't boot, error code can't be found anywhere.

Eleutherious
Level 7
I have a rig consisting of The Crosshair V Formula-Z, EVGA GTX-670 TI, AMD FX-8150, Corsair TX650m Power Supply, 1TB Memory and 8GB Vengeance DDR. My rig worked for about a half a year, but I had to move it out of my room for a little while to rearrange some stuff, and when I plugged it back it, it won't boot. I'm getting the error code "P5" or "PS" on the motherboard, but I can't seem to find it in the manual or anywhere online. Can someone please help me? I have a lot of money invested into this rig and I would hate to see it sit any longer. 😞
7 REPLIES 7

haihane
Level 13
probably a case where the components in your case moved slightly, displacing something. it happened once with my older (now disused) phenomII 955BE system.

you could start with doing visual inspection of the inside of the case, see if there's anything unplugged, plug it back in if there is. turn on the system and test. i'm not hopeful it'll be fixed that easy, honestly. if it doesn't boot, proceed with the steps below:

- unplug the power connector from your psu, press the power button on your case to discharge any remaining electricity.
- touch the side of your case to ground yourself, proceed to take out the components one after another (can leave the motherboard inside). don't cut corners and take only some out. think of it as reassembling your computer from scratch to make sure everything is seated properly, thermal paste applied properly, GPU seated properly (most of the time it's this, as cards these days can be rather heavy, and could displace easily if subjected to slightest of shock), all connectors at where it should be.
- reassemble like what said above. do a final visual inspection.
- cross your fingers, plug in the power cord, press that power on button.

if this don't work, there comes the troublesome part of identifying which potential components that maybe broken.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

PS: Classic Ford vs. Chevy point!

I would leave the PSU switch off but keep the power cord plugged in. By removing the power cord you are also removing the path to drain the ESD charges from your body. Removing the power cord neutralizes the ESD charge between you and the computer case but when you reach to grab that hard drive from the table or worse yet memory module you risk the chance of ESD damage to the part.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Sorry need a bit more info...are you seeing a splash screen, is the board POSTing, can you access the BIOS?

Follow Hailhane's advice but I would access the BIOS (if possible) to see if your storage device is being detected; if the BIOS isn't able to "see" your storage devices then check the data cable and power cable going to the storage device (hard disk or SSD).

Let us know what you figure out.--Brian

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

Sgthawker
Level 7
If nothing else, PS could mean power supply. Maybe it is that simple. Check the PSU with a tester if it all looks plugged in properly. The motherboard may have shifted during the move, so checking that it is securely screwed in and centered could make a difference.

Good Luck!
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | AMD FX 8350 | G.Skill TridentX 2400 16G | Asus Matrix GTX 580 Platinum | Sandisk Extreme SSD 480GB | SB X-Fi Titanium HD | Asus VG248QE | Corsair AX860i PSU | Lian-Li PC-V1200 | Win 7 Pro x64 | Zalman CNPS 9900 Maxx

Eleutherious
Level 7
I'm sorry, I forget to mention that part, TheNerdBench. There is no splash screen, or any activity at all on the monitor. The mouse/keyboard show no signs of life, either. Haihane, I will try that as soon as my next day off pops up, (here in the next few days.) I doubt that anything was shorted through any static charges, because I have a grounding bracelet with a metal clamp that hooks on to the metal of my case. This is the second board that I've put into the rig, (the first one shorted because my CPU was bad -.-) and I think I was just assuming the worst. I'll try what you said and tell you guys if I get any differences or progress, because it makes the most sense that something just got knocked loose/etc.
Tom's Hardware gave me nooooo luck, so thank you guys VERY much for taking the time to help me out. :cool:

TheNerdBench
Level 10
I did see that B5 Q-code had something to do with USB Power? Maybe pull all of your USB devices (including the keyboard and mouse) just to see if your system will at least POST. Do your storage devices sound like they are powering up? Can you press the eject button on the CD-ROM try and open the tray; if not this may be a PSU issue.

Again as suggested re-seat all of the parts/cables too.

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello my friend.

Moving a system in a case is often a start of problems I have seen in the past. Most folks do not wear antistatic devices when working with their PC for some reason.

None the less we can attempt to problem solve your situation.

The first thing to do is ensure that all your hardware is correctly seated and that all the PSU connectors both the 8 and 4 pin 12v EPS connectors are securely fitted.

If you have changed any hardware configuration, and that can include a new game controller or anything like that please revert your your hardware system to what it was.

I would suggest that you try with the bare minimum of hardware and just get to bios.

So only a generic keyboard and mouse fitted to the USB ports, one stick of memory and no hard drives fitted.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.