cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about Adding Extra hard-drive to my laptop asus G75v without formating?

alkimia
Level 7
Hi everyone,

I got a a Seasgate momentus super speed 750GB (ssd+hdd hybrid) and I would like to add it as a second hard drive, I have watch and read many post were they ecplain how to take apart the laptop and put the new hardrive , this part looks fairly easy and I think I'm able to do it, but the problem I have is that they don't explain if you have to do something after you put in the new hardrive.

so.
Is it as simple as that ? I just plug the new hard drive in the second free slot on the laptop and it should work just like addig and external HD ? or do i have to do back-ups ,format hard drive , and install windows again(in the new HD) ?, and if so , how would I do it, i've done formating and win intalling on a desktop , but i dont know why always get confused with laptops.

I hope someone can help,
thank you in advance
2 REPLIES 2

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well there would be no reason to reinstall your OS Since your putting in this hard drive as a 2nd drive = data drive?After you physical install the drive you'll need to go to a Elevated Command prompt and convert it to GPT then format NTFS that should give you a drive letter. then put what ever data you want to store there.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

TJ_Hooker
Level 7
Assuming that your existing drive is a normal HDD (not a hybrid like your new one), I'd recommend installing your OS on the new drive. If you search these forums you should find lots of threads about migrating data from one drive to another or doing a fresh install (I think the easiest way is with the Asus Backtracker tool). Most of these threads will be for setting up SSDs, but the process for setting up a hybrid drive as your boot drive should be the same.
ASUS G75VX, i7-3630QM, GTX 670MX, 12GB RAM, 240GB Seagate 600 SSD + 750GB/8GB Seagate SSHD