cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JH Black screen

Retired
Not applicable
Hey guys,

About a month ago I started having some problems (overheating), It was manageable until about two weeks ago. The laptop started getting really hot and then it finally progressed to only starting up for a few minutes then shutting off (Top of keyboard would get uncomfortably warm really fast). Last week I finally bit the bullet and ripped it apart and re-pasted the cpu and gpu (Its a refurb model so no warranty). It totally fixed the problem and was staying really cool to the touch (even while playing wow on ultra).

Fast forward a week and now Im having black screen problems. It only happens after a few minutes of gaming. The laptop stays on, there is no sound error, it is still running cool. If im browsing the web/watching movies everything is fine.

Running bios 209, havent done the vbios - if nothing is wrong dont try to fix it right?

After I repasted I did properly install the catalyst 11.8 - like I said everything was good for 4-5 days. The only thing I can think of is to revert to the original drivers.

Just wondering on some tests I can do to pinpoint what the heck is wrong - Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

dstrakele
Level 14
Look at the System and Application Event Logs. Do you see any Errors or Warnings prior to the lockup? Have you run a Windows Memory Diagnostic and CHKDSK?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Retired
Not applicable
No errors or warning before the shutdowns.. Tried running windows mem diag but I cant get it to boot (windows fails to boot and wants me to put in disc). I am in a remote camp working right now so I cant really make a windows disc or anything. Tried to get memtest to boot on a usb but it wont work either. Ran windows memtest ( 5 instances 1g each) and no problems. CHKDSK reports nothing. Watching a movie and surfing the internet right now and everything is good..

I turn WoW on and in about 5-10 minutes my screen goes black and the sound stops.

Retired
Not applicable
Well something new - just got a gray screen with white lines

The only thing I could parse out of the events is

"The performance strings in the Performance registry value is corrupted when process Performance extension counter provider. The BaseIndex value from the Performance registry is the first DWORD in the Data section, LastCounter value is the second DWORD in the Data section, and LastHelp value is the third DWORD in the Data section."

Then

"Unloading the performance counter strings for service WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) failed. The first DWORD in the Data section contains the error code."

Then

"Performance counters for the WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) service were loaded successfully. The Record Data in the data section contains the new index values assigned to this service."

Then as far as I can see it crashed. Thoughts?

Retired
Not applicable
tknecht wrote:
Hey guys,

Running bios 209, havent done the vbios - if nothing is wrong dont try to fix it right?

After I repasted I did properly install the catalyst 11.8 - like I said everything was good for 4-5 days. The only thing I can think of is to revert to the original drivers.

Just wondering on some tests I can do to pinpoint what the heck is wrong - Thanks.

I believe that running anything but the stock drivers that came with the laptop, and not using the vbios flash causes whats known as the "GSOD" (gray stripes of death) I had the same thing happening to me when I attempted to use anything but the stock drivers.

My first suggestion would be to go to the stickied post, and flash the vbios. It's fairly simple, and quick. The next thing I would do, is blow out your laptop for dust, using a vacuum or preferably canned air. I would also update to the latest BIOS for the G73, they provide more stable performance.

If that fixes your issue, then I would also recommend updating to the latest drivers from ATI, which are the 11.10 preview drivers. They seem to show a remarkable increase in performance and stability and I have been running on them since they came out, no issues.

hope this helps.

grungeboy2
Level 10
power supply going bad?

you probably wouldn't have that problem though, if it's running on battery ok.

sounds like a short of some kind, you go to fire up that video card and boom, it runs into the problem. try reinstalling a new copy of the video driver, sounds like a hardware issue tho.

dstrakele
Level 14
Unfortunately, I don't get any troubleshooting ideas from your Event Log messages. You report the memory test completed successfully and no errors or bad blocks from CHKDSK. I'm suspicious of a bad GPU, since you report a crash immediately after starting a game. I suspect running a GPU stress test would also crash your system.

You report stability for one week after the re-paste. Did you try a System Restore from that time?

Did you make any changes to Power Management on your systetm in the 4-5 days after the re-paste? I'd check to make sure there is no power saving configured whatsoever for your High Performance profile used when you're gaming.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

xeromist
Start with this fix as Eaglesniper mentioned:
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?519-G73Jh-GSOD-Vbios-Update
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Hey guys, thanks for all the responses. I flashed the vbios and its been running fine for 20 minutes now with no problems - seems like I might be in the clear.

Thanks alot for everything!

Retired
Not applicable
tknecht wrote:
Hey guys, thanks for all the responses. I flashed the vbios and its been running fine for 20 minutes now with no problems - seems like I might be in the clear.

Thanks alot for everything!

no problem 🙂