cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[help] maximus vi hero won't boot after sleep

Denners
Level 7
i've had a stable build running for a month of two, but I recently put my pc into sleep mode and when I tried to wake it again it wouldn't (the fans would go on for a moment and then return to sleep mode). I left it in that state until I could resolve it, but there was a power outage.
now it won't boot at all, upon starting the digits remain 00 and my gpu and cpu fan start doing their thing, nothing more. no indicator lights and no display.
anything I can do to fix it?

maximus vi hero
Nvidia gtx 770
2x 4gb ddr3 ram
Intel i7
14 REPLIES 14

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Try clearing CMOS....or do it thoroughly by removing all power from the board and taking out CMOS battery for 12 hours...then reconnecting..replacing battery and clearing CMOS..

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Try clearing CMOS....or do it thoroughly by removing all power from the board and taking out CMOS battery for 12 hours...then reconnecting..replacing battery and clearing CMOS..

Hey Arne, I read recently that you could do this much faster if you put the CMOS battery in upside down for 30 Secs. I'm guessing the upside down battery shorts out any residual charge, so you don't have to wait so long.

Denners, feel like being a guinea pig on this one?
Motherboard: RIVE (3602 bios)
CPU: Intel 3930K @4646MHz
OS Drive: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO (Raid 0)
Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD
Memory: 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z (F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX580 @795MHz - 1536MB GDDR5
PSU: OCZ ZX1250
Cooling: Phantek PH-TC14PE

Denners
Level 7
i did that last night. not a change.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK, do you have another PSU to try...might be the PSU or 8pin ATX connection has fried? The power out doesn't sound good.

Any chance of testing another CPU or your CPU in another board?

Denners
Level 7
going to try with another psu later today

Denners
Level 7
Double post, but yeah.
I didn't have the right psu, so I tried something else: I took out the processor, cleaned it a a bit and put it back in. Now when I try to boot all the fans start spinning and the digits flash 00, but only for a few seconds before shutting down again.
Any help?

Tokens210
Level 10
Is your PC connected to a surge protector

I have a maximus VI formula, had a power outage and had the motherboard
A. Rog led flashed as if the PC was sleeping till I powered it on, then went to its normal solid again
B. Had the 00 code and it wouldn't boot

My guess was my surge protector saved it, I needed to use the clear CMOS button a few time and tried to boot a few times, once I got it to actually boot once, I shut it down the correct way and since then its been fine

This is just my experience, may not help you at all, also I'm no expert

My personal guess to the matter is the error probly sticks, as I said I have a surge protector and I only lost power for a fraction of a second so it surprised me it wouldn't boot

After seeing many threads about bios settings and other bios things getting stuck, even after clearing CMOS, I've even experienced it myself

Lead me to believe maybe the lose of power is causing an error that's getting stuck and as a safety feature is disabling booting

Again I'm not an expert, just my best guess on what happened to my rig and possible why resetting the CMOS multiple times and trying to boot multiple times caused it to eventually clear it and work

Also when dis charging the system, and clearing also be sure after you remove the power cord from the power supply so there is no power at all, hold your power button for about a minute, that should cause it to discharge faster, then maybe even just leave it with no power after you held the button, maybe 30 minutes, just give yourself the best possible chances

After that time period try the clearing CMOS and boot, clear CMOS and boot, for me personally took 3 time's, I'd also say you may want to be careful in doing it to much as it may corrupt the bios in which case you'd then need to bios flashback and since you have no display you'll kinda be more lost lol
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Did what token said, cleared cmos, boot, clear, boot etc. maybe 5/6 times.
Still just a short burst of 00 and fans spinning.

Tokens210
Level 10
During the short burst are your pressing anything, just another tid bit of info, may not be related

But clearing CMOS is a major change to the board

Sometimes when I make major changes especially to voltages my upon reboot my PC will do what your saying, basically the fans fully spin up and then it shuts off, it'll do that 3-4 times before boot, my guess is its changing things on every partial boot until its ready for a full one, so you can try just letting it go if you haven't already and see if it does that, if it gets to like 5 or 6 its probly a no go

Again not an expert, just my guesses
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo