cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some help with adaptive offsets on a Maximus VI Hero?

Pasta_Actaul
Level 7
Hey ROG community,

Fairly adept user here trying to fine tune his overclock. I run a 4770k on a z87 ROG Hero. I used the BIOS to automatically increase the multiplier to 42, and left all the voltage settings to 'auto.' With my H80i I never had a problem with heat. Using CPUID I see that I pull 1.2 V under load. System has been stable for months.

With it getting warmer because of summer, I wanted to play with the voltage settings to get better thermals. I set the voltage settings to Adaptive, and let it run Prime95 for 10-15 minutes and was fine. All was great for maybe an hour until I BSOD'd in BF4. So I went in and changed the offset to +0.030 volts on everything, and that was stable in Prime for 30-45 minutes, but then I BSOD'd in BF4 again after probably 2 hours of gameplay.

I set it back to auto voltage, which pushes 1.2 volts, but also gets me to 78 C on average. I shouldn't complain, but after seeing adaptive keep me at about 65 C I really really want to dial in that voltage to get those benefits.

Does anyone have any other advice? Should I set all of the offsets just higher and see where that takes me?

Thanks,

-Paul
1 REPLY 1

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You have to go about this a different way I think. You have the 1.2v figure from AUTO but you don't really know if that's just enough or too much for your OC so you have to set manual voltage...I'd say start with 1.2v and then work that down bit by bit. Basically you want to find the stable manual voltage for your OC. See what voltage that gives you at load in CPUz (I'd suggest taking control of LLC for this and setting MED).

Then it is a bit of trial and error with offset values to get back to that same load voltage in CPUz. Just remember that Prime 95 uses AVX and in adaptive means that the board will add up to 0.1v so maybe find a stress test with no AVX instructions...

I mean sure, you can just try some more values and see if you get stable but it is easier if you have a goal to shoot for...