cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G56 considerations/alternatives

lllib
Level 7
I have bit problem. I'd like relatively mobile laptop(G56's 2.7kg seems about reasonably, "proper" ROG with 3.5+kg are way too much) that can decently play games.
The problem is they put 760M into G56...
Is there any idea why they might have wanted to do that? It seems Maxwell should be cooler than Kepler, which should matter for gaming laptop...
Further, any clue how likely are they to make version with 860M eventually, and if so, how soon?
Also, is anyone aware what are the differences against N56? I tried to find some review that would cover this, but I'm especially lacking data on internals differences (such as if there is anything about "G" part of the name, apart from laptop's color and logo).
So my dilema is G56, or MSI, or not a gaming laptop at all - and maybe something far lighter and cheaper instead... the eventual G56 860M refresh would matter for about month, very unlikely for two, but not more.
4 REPLIES 4

FerNZA
Level 7
Hmm, I had a similar dillemma.

I chose to get the G56 yet, but we are having stock issues.

From what I could see they are the same, the G56 just looks cooler. The N56 I could get was about 15% cheaper, but it had the i5 4200H instead of the i7 4700HQ.

Also the view angle of the G56 is 178 rather than 150.

dblkk
Level 7
I'd say msi gs ghost is only other reasonable option.

lllib
Level 7
Well, MSI Ghost cost here about ~300Euro more here (including Windows that is), doesn't have IPS display, sound is probably worse, so is touchpad, so is overall ergonomics (but it's lighter noticeably and has 860M)... Overall... not superior option.
However I just noticed local shops have selled out G56's and restocking estimate is currently one month 🙂 Well, that's for variant with 8GB RAM, they still have plenty of 6GB ones, but that's meh...

RyanS
Level 7
Go for the G56JR! The main selling point for me was the IPS panel and 178 degree viewing angle. Besides that, the Core i7 4700HQ is a brisk performer and it comes with an external sub-woofer! Read my review here: :cool:

ASUS G56JR brief review