cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPS drop when unplugged...-G750JX

markgoimon
Level 7
Im a newbie to tweaking softwares...please excuse my ignorance lol...

anyway...Is it normal that my fps drops drastically whenever I unplug my laptop? btw I currently work and live in myanmar where power outage happens randomly for some reason and I mean 2-5x a day... for about 10-30s having that said is it better to have this current set up (assuming it is normal)... or will it be safe even if i change it?

what I want btw is to have the same performance FPS wise in games despite having the laptop plugged or unplugged...

I have power4gear installed btw...
10 REPLIES 10

kkn
Level 14
its becouse its turning to battery back up and to prevent drain it fast.
its the power saving / performance on it.

markgoimon
Level 7
I know that much but given my situation will the battery life be affected if I say...switch it to max performance despite being unplugged...

and how do I do that if its possible...? 😄

thx for the reply

theclaw37
Level 9
No, it's not because of some power saving feature. The battery just can't provide the same amount of current at the 19.5V Voltage rating. Your power brick probably outputs 9.23A which totals to about 180W. This is the power needed to drive all your components at maximum performance, but your battery can only give out much less without damaging itself (i don't know how much lower the g750 battery goes but it does), so the components will be underpowered and thus, you get less fps in games.

so its not something I can change?

markgoimon wrote:
so its not something I can change?

markgoimon, not really, not FPS. You can uninstall Power4Gear, and force a Windows Power Plan on battery like High Performance - or Balanced, and that will keep the CPU speed up.

But the GPU speed on a JX will drop and you can't change / adjust that. The Nvidia GPU will downclock to draw less power - the battery alone can't provide the current it needs to run at full speed.

The best solution would be to get a UPS, that will keep your AC power up through a power outage / brownout. They aren't that expensive in the small 10-15 minute coverage range, and that should keep you up and running at full speed FPS 🙂

This one has a 12 minute rating, about the lowest I would go with.

UPS 1200D
http://www.eastwestintl.com/proddetail.asp?pid=3586

Here is their full selection:
http://www.eastwestintl.com/showprod.asp?catid=222

Remember that owning one of these is like owning a boat anchor 🙂

I used to tow around a few of these, but I haven't really needed them at home for quite a while, we haven't been getting brown outs here for quite a while.

hmscott wrote:
markgoimon, not really, not FPS. You can uninstall Power4Gear, and force a Windows Power Plan on battery like High Performance - or Balanced, and that will keep the CPU speed up.

But the GPU speed on a JX will drop and you can't change / adjust that. The Nvidia GPU will downclock to draw less power - the battery alone can't provide the current it needs to run at full speed.

The best solution would be to get a UPS, that will keep your AC power up through a power outage / brownout. They aren't that expensive in the small 10-15 minute coverage range, and that should keep you up and running at full speed FPS 🙂

This one has a 12 minute rating, about the lowest I would go with.

UPS 1200D
http://www.eastwestintl.com/proddetail.asp?pid=3586

Here is their full selection:
http://www.eastwestintl.com/showprod.asp?catid=222

Remember that owning one of these is like owning a boat anchor 🙂

I used to tow around a few of these, but I haven't really needed them at home for quite a while, we haven't been getting brown outs here for quite a while.

thx for clarifying man!..that solves my confusion lol...thx again 😄

xcaetano
Level 7
u play games on battery?

Akin2Silver
Level 7
2 options if you really wish to push the FPS up when on battery

1. change your power plan to high performance
2. In the nvidia GeForce experience console under the preferences tab, go to battery and adjust limit as required.

This is all well and good but be warned, with windows 8 it is very easy to corrupt you install if you play until the moment you run out of power.
i would suggest changing the power plan settings to shutdown your pc at 10% this gives it time for a proper shutdown with out losing power.
This can be found in the advance options of a power plan.
I suggest this because if you are playing full screen games you wont be able to monitor your battery level and running at full steam you will chew through it like no tomorrow.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Don't expect any recent owners would be running older bios versions, but just in case any owners who have had their G750JX, G750JW and G750JH longer were wondering about this too, thought we should remind them to check their bios version and this sticky thread below to consider if a bios update could help improve the performance although it still will not give you the same performance on battery power as AC power.
Processor stuck at .77Ghz when unplugged [solved w/new bios]

@markgoimon, tell us your G750JX bios version if you want us to help check if there is bios update available that could potentially help improve your battery gaming performance.

If the G750JS, G70JZ, and G750JM owners are wondering if a bios update may help with their battery gaming performance, no it will not since this bios update battery gaming performance issue only occurred with the older G750JX, G750JW, and G750JH models.