Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: G-sync and lag

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

With a powerful computer you have to limit your FPS to below the max refresh rate in G-sync mode. If your frame rate goes above it, the frames will pull from a buffer. The feeling at 144Hz will then be the same as running V-sync at that refresh rate.

EDIT: don't limit your FPS in the Nvidia control panel or with some overclocking software such as Precision and Afterburner. It will create input lag as well. You have to limit your FPS before it's processed, i.e., in-game.

In BF3/4 for instance it's console command GameTime.MaxVariableFps. You can enable it automatically by creating a user.cfg text file in your BF game folder.

http://techexplored.com/battlefield-...ings-user-cfg/
    Last edited by cx-ray; 08-11-2014 at 10:05 AM.

xH4wK
    I do have same feeling, in CS:GO I feel like there is some input lag while G-Sync is enabled and hitting 143fps (limited by g-sync itself)

Gonna try limiting fps to 120 (as this was tested on blurbusters months ago and provided similar input lag as vsync-off in their tests)

New ROGer Array

So far I've noticed the swift feels much more responsive than my old 5ms delay Toshiba at 60 refresh rate. I've only been playing Diablo 3 and some newer games. I haven't tried games that I know I can get over the 120fps limit of g-sync.

New ROGer Array

I have the PG278Q and can confirm the input lag with G-Sync on, however it only happens when ingame fps reaches your screen refreshrate.
    To circumvent this problem, limit ingame fps to just under screen refreshrate.

Two example pictures from CS:GO where G-Sync is on and with no fps limit, and fps limit 141.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6f...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6f...ew?usp=sharing

The screenshot was taken while running a listen server with bots in CS:GO.
    Notice the " var: " value of the net_graph. When fps is under screen refresh limit this fluctuates between 0 and 0.006 ms.
    When fps is at screen refresh limit, var fluctuates between 0.2 and 0.8 ms.

Explaination of the var value from http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffens...hanks_vitaliy/

"Value for sv var when server performance is meeting tickrate requirements represents the standard deviation of accuracy of server OS nanosleep function measured in microseconds over the history of last 50 server frames. The latest update relies on it for efficiently sleeping and waking up to start next frame simulation. Should usually be fractions of milliseconds."

So I think when this value varying at this degree is indicative of system lag.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array pennyboy PC Specs
    pennyboy PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus XI Hero
    ProcessorIntel i9 9900k
    Memory (part number)G.Skill 32gb Trident Z RGB
    Graphics Card #1EVGA XC Ultra GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    Sound CardAsus Supreme FX Onboard
    MonitorASUS PG278Q Swift 27" GSYNC
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Evo 1 tb
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Evo 500 gb
    CPU CoolerCoolerMaster 360ML RGB
    CaseCorsair 900D
    Power SupplyCorsair 1200 AXi
    Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma
    Mouse Razer Diamondback Chroma
    Headset Razer Kraken Chroma
    Mouse Pad Razer Scarab - Battlefield 3 theme
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z-680
    OS Windows 10 x64 1809

For me Bf4 with G-Sync on is best, its super smooth and I can't live without the Swift (although at the moment I am because my panel came with a dead pixel) just waiting for a replacement unit in Nov. For me im not gaming until my new SWIFT arrives because it was that good and gaming on another panel, even temporarily, is not possible!

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by cx-ray View Post
    With a powerful computer you have to limit your FPS to below the max refresh rate in G-sync mode. If your frame rate goes above it, the frames will pull from a buffer. The feeling at 144Hz will then be the same as running V-sync at that refresh rate.

EDIT: don't limit your FPS in the Nvidia control panel or with some overclocking software such as Precision and Afterburner. It will create input lag as well. You have to limit your FPS before it's processed, i.e., in-game.

In BF3/4 for instance it's console command GameTime.MaxVariableFps. You can enable it automatically by creating a user.cfg text file in your BF game folder.

http://techexplored.com/battlefield-...ings-user-cfg/
    This is correct and has been confirmed over at BlurBusters
    http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview2/

You need to set your monitor to 144hz with g-sync enabled and limit the frame rate below 144 within the game (currently some are using 135-138 fps with little to no input lag). When you run the game with no frame rate limit, g-sync will function just like normal v-sync when your frame rate hits the refresh rate limit. As your frame rate drops the input lag goes away, but will come back the moment you hit the refresh rate limit again. If you cannot limit frames in the game you are playing you can use a third party limiter (like afterburner or precision-x's "frame target") but these methods still introduce some input lag (not as much as v-sync from what I have been reading).

As stated above the ingame console commands are the only way at the moment to truly eliminate input lag.
    for CS:GO try setting it to : FPS_MAX 128 (ish) and see if you experience any lag.

GLHF
    Last edited by WickedSoN; 10-09-2014 at 04:34 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2