cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few issues with Rampage IV Black Edition

larsiano
Level 8
- All system temperatures below 40deg cel.

- BT, WiFi, & ASmedia controller disabled in BIOS

- XMS enabled in BIOS = DDR3 @ 18866MHz C9

- OS reinstalled just perfect all drivers up to date, no unknown devices in device mgmt.

Issue's

1: CPU recognized different at each startup in BIOS & OS (Range 4900K, 4910K, 4930K ). I have not tried to reset the CPU in the socket yet hoping a BIOS update would make this go away.

2: Same as posted in topic below is an intermitted mouse failure when hovering over icons / windows or during a game played. But it happens in the BIOS aswell!
Most of the times the mouse just halts a few seconds and then resumes to function. Tough i have experienced two times that all fans would spinup and the system would fail to respond (no over klok execpt XMS).

Note: Media played true a neighbour USB port runs just fine with no slowdowns or issues.

- Tested mouse on different USB2 & 3 ports

Also: 9 out of 10 times the system will halt in BIOS and not boot up automatically? Maybe for this to work i need to enable/disable something in the BIOS?

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37184-Official-Rampage-IV-Black-Edition-X79-Thread&p=349881...

Specs:
Asus Rampage Black Edit. BIOS = 0801
Intel 4930K + Corsair H100i
Corsiar 1866 Dominator Platinum
Asus GTX590
OCZ RevoDrive3 X3 240GB SCSI PCI-e
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Logitech G5 Laser mouse USB2.0
6 REPLIES 6

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi larsiano, If indeed you have Rampage IV Black edition, correct Bios should be 0801. For Bios update instructions and best method,just ask

1: Once you know you have correct updated Bios R4BE.CAP and all settings in Bios are reset to default and still no go, then you may indeed need to reseat your CPU and check for bent pins,

2: Go into your Bios and enable ASMedia if your Mouse and keyboard are connected via USB or check legacy support is enabled if older style.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

X-ROG
Level 15
Update to the latest BIOS and check your socket pins to see if any damage. That POST issue maybe a corrupt BIOS or maybe something in the socket reading the microcode wrongly at bootup. Given the USB issue though sounds like your BIOS is flubbed. It it stays bad after a flash then you may have a bad BIOS chip.

larsiano
Level 8
I had the BIOS vers. wrong its on 0801 right now, but i have tried them all over the months with the same result. I will reseat the CPU soon and make pictures of the socket but the installation went flawless for what i could see. i wonder if it could make a difference if the videocard is placed in the PCI-e nr3 slot, i do this for space and the performance doesnt seem to suffer much.

- Reseat CPU?
- add 4pin molex power to EZ_Plug (extra PCI-e power)?
- add 4pin CPU connector + 8pin (current) for CPU power?
- move GPU to PCI-e slot nr1?

Update:
- add 4pin molex power to EZ_Plug (extra PCI-e power)?
- add 4pin CPU connector + 8pin (current) for CPU power?

thied the above two options to find no sollution!

Update2:
BTW i just noticed part of the forum is i think in Spanish language. But i have no option to change this via settings or profile?

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a629/bg-xtra/Untitled_zps6a39790c.jpg

ow and while making this update i get "
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 3 characters.
" while i typt 3 extra sentences, this does not sounds right to me? This happens if i try to add a picture to the post!

larsiano
Level 8
ImageImageImage

I reseated the CPU today and the CPU was recognized OK for now, there was a small black spot on the CPU that I removed carefully. maybe this was part of the problem. But 25 min after reboot the first halt of the mouse appeared once again meaning all this didn’t fix all problems. Now it’s time to try a new mouse hoping to solve minor power fluctuations of the Logitech mouse perhaps or a compatibility problem with that particular device. I will keep all options open for now?

larsiano
Level 8
A few days later i see that none of the problems have been solved at all. The mouse keeps quitting on me every hour or so & the system goes crazy turning all fans on etc. (CPU = at room temp).

so 3 problems:
1. CPU recognized wrong
2. USB failure
3. plop sound during shutdown or reboot (what the NEC chip should take care of right?)

So i guess ill have to make a support ticket, disassemble the machine and sent the board for replacement?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm maybe....you have another old mose to try? Is the OS a fresh install on this setup?

The RAM is that one single quad channel kit? Does it pass Memtest86+ at BIOS F5 defaults and at XMP (if that´s how you have it set up)?