cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G550J Combo Audio Jack Problems

Jake_G
Level 7
Hi,
I am having an issue with my new laptop's combination audio (mic in/audio out) plug.

I cannot use regular headphones (3.5mm) green plug in my laptop, the plug goes in easily (almost too easily) and doesn't receive audio or appear in Windows as a detected audio device. If I put the cable in half way (or just a bit more) the device will appear and I will be given the choice to select 'Headset (audio and mic)' or 'audio out', but then of course the audio only comes through one speaker.

The only time I have been able to use a headset on my laptop is when I bought a splitter off of eBay that allowed me to plug mic in and audio out into two separate plugs and then the third plug goes straight into the laptop's combo jack, and that worked fine until the splitter broke.

So what is it? This is my first time using a device with a combo jack and I don't understand the problem I am having. I have tried multiple headphones and headsets and have had the same problem each time. Multiple Google searches for my problem returned 0 helpful results.
Please help.

The laptop is brand new and is an Asus G550JK-CN156H

Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

kkn
Level 14
notebook section

jbazooka
Level 7
I've had the same issues. Thinking about taking it to an Asus service repair center.

Falco57
Level 7
I took one back because of the same issues. At first, both it, and the replacement worked. Then, suddenly they both stopped allowing me to put the headphones in properly.

Sorry for posting not in the notebook section. I do not know how to move it.
Anyway,

Here's the story. Quite an ordeal, actually.

I called Asus Support, and my notebook was sent off for a repair, it went to Hawthorn Repair Centre, was there for one week, I got it back with a new motherboard/mainboard and everything was working fine. Except the keyboard backlight did not work. I was furious. I called up Asus Support a second time and informed them. They apologised and said they would have it sent off for repairs again and this time it would go to their 'Main Repair Centre' in Port Melbourne. 'Your order has been placed as high priority sir' they said. Only this time after hanging up the call, I never received the consignment or manifest email. So I waited one week and I called up again and informed them of that. 'It seems a technical glitch in the system has pushed your order to the end of priority, and therefore your order was not processed, sir' they said. This made me even more mad.

Eventually that was fixed and I received the information I needed to send away my computer. A week passed by and I called up to find out the status of the repair. The motherboard was replaced a second time. I received the notebook back in about 1.5 weeks after sending it away. So I am using it now to make this post, and finally it is back and in working order.

The order form said that the "bt code was modified - recoded, re enable keyboard backlight, mainboard replaced, hard drive tested-passed, RAM tested-passed, stress tested-passed, benchmark test-ok. " Another comment was
"Keyboard backlight failure, common in G550J.

I hope this helps anyone experiencing the same problems, and good luck to you for repair. *rolls eyes*

Jake_G wrote:
Sorry for posting not in the notebook section. I do not know how to move it.
Anyway,

Here's the story. Quite an ordeal, actually.

I called Asus Support, and my notebook was sent off for a repair, it went to Hawthorn Repair Centre, was there for one week, I got it back with a new motherboard/mainboard and everything was working fine. Except the keyboard backlight did not work. I was furious. I called up Asus Support a second time and informed them. They apologised and said they would have it sent off for repairs again and this time it would go to their 'Main Repair Centre' in Port Melbourne. 'Your order has been placed as high priority sir' they said. Only this time after hanging up the call, I never received the consignment or manifest email. So I waited one week and I called up again and informed them of that. 'It seems a technical glitch in the system has pushed your order to the end of priority, and therefore your order was not processed, sir' they said. This made me even more mad.

Eventually that was fixed and I received the information I needed to send away my computer. A week passed by and I called up to find out the status of the repair. The motherboard was replaced a second time. I received the notebook back in about 1.5 weeks after sending it away. So I am using it now to make this post, and finally it is back and in working order.

The order form said that the "bt code was modified - recoded, re enable keyboard backlight, mainboard replaced, hard drive tested-passed, RAM tested-passed, stress tested-passed, benchmark test-ok. " Another comment was
"Keyboard backlight failure, common in G550J.

I hope this helps anyone experiencing the same problems, and good luck to you for repair. *rolls eyes*

This is a late post but I am currently having this problem now. Is there a known solution other than sending it in? I'm a student so it would be kind of hard to live without a laptop for a week.