cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Backtracker failed to read from usb when imaging SSD

Kristian221
Level 7
I wanted to install and SSD into my G750JM. I created the recovery image on a properly formatted (FAT32) usb drive using asus backtracker. Afterwords I removed the HDD, replaced it with an SSD in the exact same slot (bay 0), and booted from the usb. It starts up, initializes the SSD, but as soon as it hits "Copy recovery image to hard drive" it fails with an error message saying that it failed to read or access the USB storage device. Anyone know how to get this fixed?
21 REPLIES 21

redduc900
Level 9
hmscott can probably tell you for sure, but It may have to do w/ the fact that you removed the HDD containing the factory recovery partitions. Backtracker may need to read recovery partition information in order for a system restore to work properly.
Laptop: Asus G750JZ

Kristian221
Level 7
So does anyone know a way around this then? Every guide says to do it this way, yet it doesn't work.

Kristian221 wrote:
So does anyone know a way around this then? Every guide says to do it this way, yet it doesn't work.

Kristian221, some USB flash drives are incompatible, there isn't a list, but most new USB 3.0 Flash drives work.

What make / model / size of flash drive failed? Try another drive.

How make/ model / size is the new destination SSD?

Kristian221
Level 7
It is a sandisk, 32GB. The SSD is a crucial 256GB. Though now the original hard drive is corrupted from trying to reinstall windows. Hopefully my copy of windows 8.1 will work in this laptop because that is the only option I have left 😕

Kristian221 wrote:
It is a sandisk, 32GB. The SSD is a crucial 256GB. Though now the original hard drive is corrupted from trying to reinstall windows. Hopefully my copy of windows 8.1 will work in this laptop because that is the only option I have left 😕

Kristian221, just because the Flash drive is incompatible to restore from, it doesn't mean the data isn't there and correct, you could find a USB 3.0 drive and clone the image on the Sandisk 32GB to the new USB 3.0 32GB that is compatible. And, that new Flash drive should boot and work, so you haven't lost your backup yet.

If you have a UNIX machine you can dd the Sandisk 32GB raw drive to the new drive.

Don't erase that Sandisk 32GB Asus Backtracker image yet 🙂

It is a good idea to always test/use your Backup's before moving on - I used a dummy 2.5" drive I had laying around and booted from my Sony USB 3.0 flash recovery drive and did a test restore from it before I blew away the recovery partition on my SSD RAID0. I also kept the test restore 2.5" drive which also has a recovery partition so if I need to make a new USB 3.0 Flash recovery drive I can swap in that 2.5" to boot from and run Asus Backtracker again.

BTW, I taped the Flash drive to the inside of my G750 box, to make sure it doesn't disappear 🙂

This is one of the sites I go to for updated USB 3.0 flash drive performance info, and use it to select flash drives.
http://usb.userbenchmark.com/

Of the top drives, the SanDisk USB 3.0 16GB - SDCZ80-016G - $18 - got great performance at a low price.
http://usb.userbenchmark.com/SanDisk-Extreme-USB-30-16GB/Rating/1301

As I recall, others have used that list, and even this drive to successfully do a Backtracker backup/restore to a new SSD, but I don't have a link to the specific post/thread.

This is the Sony USB 3.0 I used, I got it cheap at the Sony store on sale % discount + price match:

Micro Vault Mach USB 3.0 16GB USM16GQ
http://usb.userbenchmark.com/Sony-Micro-Vault-Mach-USB-30-16GB/Rating/1300

I also successfully used a Sony USB 2.0 drive, lots slower than the USB 3.0 for creation/restore:

16GB Micro Vault M-Series White (USM16GM/W)
http://www.amazon.com/16GB-Micro-Vault-Whi-USM16GM/dp/B0049XHRZA/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=undefin...

What model number SanDisk 32GB Flash drive do you have?

Adam_C_
Level 7
There REALLY needs to be a list if Backtracker is going to flake out on some drives. That's pretty unacceptable.

Adam C. wrote:
There REALLY needs to be a list if Backtracker is going to flake out on some drives. That's pretty unacceptable.

Adam , it happens rarely, and unfortunately the users with the problem never report back what make/model failed, and mostly don't report which one ended up working.

From the few reports we have seen, most recent USB 3.0 Patriot 16GB work, and most Kingston USB 3.0 16GB work

I listed the ones I used and worked above, but Sony USB are hard to find.

Please post what works for you (this means all of you). 🙂

For info, I just tried a new Kingston DataTraveler DT SE9 G2, USB 3.0 16GB and I couldn't get Backtracker V3.0.9 to work to backup the factory image. Most p'd off. Will try one of the ones listed if I can.
Thanks
Janeway

hmscott wrote:
Adam , it happens rarely, and unfortunately the users with the problem never report back what make/model failed, and mostly don't report which one ended up working.

From the few reports we have seen, most recent USB 3.0 Patriot 16GB work, and most Kingston USB 3.0 16GB work

I listed the ones I used and worked above, but Sony USB are hard to find.

Please post what works for you (this means all of you). 🙂

Captain Janeway wrote:
For info, I just tried a new Kingston DataTraveler DT SE9 G2, USB 3.0 16GB and I couldn't get Backtracker V3.0.9 to work to backup the factory image. Most p'd off. Will try one of the ones listed if I can.
Thanks
Janeway

Captain Janeway, yeah, it is disappointing when you are held back from an upgrade by something so simple as having a working USB drive.

Which version of Backtracker are you using? I am using v3.0.9

I just got a new Patriot 32GB Stellar USB 3.0 drive for $17, and Backtracker formatted the entire thing, first time that has happened. Previously everything I have used has only formatted the first 20GB at most, this time the whole thing is available.

And, I have used it to restore 5 or 6 times, I have been testing 3x RAID0 (2 x 512GB M.2 + 512GB 2.5"), and the USB drive has been awesomely fast.

It seems to be available everywhere, and I price matched it saving a bunch of $ - here is the Patriot Part Number off the barcode on back:
PS001102-PSF32GSTROTG

Here is the page I used to price match:
http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Stellar-Android-Smartphones-Transfer/dp/B00GMG2FLS

Reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Stellar-Android-Smartphones-Transfer/product-reviews/B00GMG2GEO/ref=cm...

There are also 16GB and 64GB models.

Good luck!