cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G70JS - upgrading SSD and other questions

AloneQuotient
Level 7
So just got a G750JS with the 256gb SSD and 1tb mech drive last week, upgraded from a G74SX and totally loving the redesign and all.
But something that i've experienced is that i keep running out of storage. I like to lug my whole steam library around. (i'm very mobile and often without intrawebz).

So planning to upgrade the 256gb SSD to the Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB SSD. Planning to do it using backtracker to move the OS and a 16gig usb stick. The EVO arrives monday. So questions now :

Will the EVO fit ?
is it the correct size ?
Do i need some mounting brackets or anything else ?
Does backtracker make the partitions too or i need to use disk manager for that ?
Do I partition the EVO first before the upgrade ?
I'd like to keep Asus's hidden recovery partition. How do i go about doing that in the new drive ?
What possible other uses could i put the swapped 256gb drive for considering its bare without an enclosure etc. ?
Anything i should be aware of ?

Sorry for all the inane questions but laptop newbie here, can manage my way around a desktop mostly, fingering a laptop for the first time though. RMA's are out of the question since i'm country hopping atm. So need to get this right in one shot.

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

hmscott
Level 12
AloneQuotient wrote:
So just got a G750JS with the 256gb SSD and 1tb mech drive last week, upgraded from a G74SX and totally loving the redesign and all.
But something that i've experienced is that i keep running out of storage. I like to lug my whole steam library around. (i'm very mobile and often without intrawebz).

So planning to upgrade the 256gb SSD to the Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB SSD. Planning to do it using backtracker to move the OS and a 16gig usb stick. The EVO arrives monday. So questions now :

Will the EVO fit ?
is it the correct size ?
Do i need some mounting brackets or anything else ?
Does backtracker make the partitions too or i need to use disk manager for that ?
Do I partition the EVO first before the upgrade ?
I'd like to keep Asus's hidden recovery partition. How do i go about doing that in the new drive ?
What possible other uses could i put the swapped 256gb drive for considering its bare without an enclosure etc. ?
Anything i should be aware of ?

Sorry for all the inane questions but laptop newbie here, can manage my way around a desktop mostly, fingering a laptop for the first time though. RMA's are out of the question since i'm country hopping atm. So need to get this right in one shot.

Thanks

AloneQuotient, you will want to open the access panel on the bottom and see what form factor your SSD is, and how it is mounted. Some of the JS's received a single M.2 NGFF SATA SSD on a daughter card instead of a 2.5" drive, and that daughter card doesn't seem to be removable. You would need to get another M.2 NGFF SATA drive to replace it.

You could upgrade the 1TB HDD with that 1TB Evo SSD instead, and put your Steam common cache on that drive - without making it a boot drive. So you could keep your current install and reinstall Steam using D:\SteamLibrary which puts all your game installs in D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common

There are more M.2 NGFF SATA drives out there, but Samsung has only released their Evo M.2 NGFF form factor SSD's as PCI-E - and those won't work in the G750.

Amazon search for M.2 NGFF SATA drives, filtered additionally as Internal SSD.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_1?rh=n%3A1292116011%2Ck%3Am.2+sata&keywords=m.2+sata&ie=UTF8&qid...

There are different lengths in the M.2 NGFF SATA form factor, and the longer/shorter ones have room to fit, but the retaining screw might not be usable as the length might be longer than the cut hole, so people have used strong tape to hold it down - you could also carefully check the board for circuit paths and drill a hole that is the right space away to use the screw.

The Crucial M550's 512GB are currently the largest/fastest M.2 NFFF drives I know of:
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-512GB-Internal-Solid-CT512M550SSD4/dp/B00ITFZTHC/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UT...

I installed a Samsung 512GB 840 Pro 2.5" SSD to replace my 1TB HDD, and keep my SteamLibrary there.

I put my 1TB in an external USB 3.0 case:
http://www.siig.com/it-products/controllers-storage/hard-drive-storage/drive-enclosures/usb-3-0-to-i...

hmscott wrote:
AloneQuotient, you will want to open the access panel on the bottom and see what form factor your SSD is, and how it is mounted. Some of the JS's received a single M.2 NGFF SATA SSD on a daughter card instead of a 2.5" drive, and that daughter card doesn't seem to be removable. You would need to get another M.2 NGFF SATA drive to replace it.

You could upgrade the 1TB HDD with that 1TB Evo SSD instead, and put your Steam common cache on that drive - without making it a boot drive. So you could keep your current install and reinstall Steam using D:\SteamLibrary which puts all your game installs in D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common

There are more M.2 NGFF SATA drives out there, but Samsung has only released their Evo M.2 NGFF form factor SSD's as PCI-E - and those won't work in the G750.

Amazon search for M.2 NGFF SATA drives, filtered additionally as Internal SSD.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_1?rh=n%3A1292116011%2Ck%3Am.2+sata&keywords=m.2+sata&ie=UTF8&qid...

There are different lengths in the M.2 NGFF SATA form factor, and the longer/shorter ones have room to fit, but the retaining screw might not be usable as the length might be longer than the cut hole, so people have used strong tape to hold it down - you could also carefully check the board for circuit paths and drill a hole that is the right space away to use the screw.

The Crucial M550's 512GB are currently the largest/fastest M.2 NFFF drives I know of:
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-512GB-Internal-Solid-CT512M550SSD4/dp/B00ITFZTHC/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UT...

I installed a Samsung 512GB 840 Pro 2.5" SSD to replace my 1TB HDD, and keep my SteamLibrary there.

I put my 1TB in an external USB 3.0 case:
http://www.siig.com/it-products/controllers-storage/hard-drive-storage/drive-enclosures/usb-3-0-to-i...

So which one is this ? m.2 or the regular ssd ?

EDIT : NVM, it is indeed soldered as you have correctly pointed out. Still there is sufficient space to have a 7mm ssd inserted. The issue remains as to securing it. Perhaps some double sided tape then.

Thanks for all the help though. I will be posting back if I do get the SSD running in the OS slot, if not well you heard it here folks !!!

AloneQuotient wrote:
So which one is this ? m.2 or the regular ssd ?

AloneQuotient, exactly as I described it. You have a green daughter board with the M.2 NGFF SATA SSD plugged in, in a 2.5" mounting case.

Compare it to your 2.5" drive. The 2.5" drive takes up the whole mounting case, the M.2 is much smaller and needs that adapter board to fit.

Looking at the M550 512GB link I gave you above, you can see it has the same form factor as the M.2 NGFF in the daughter board.

pokerface
Level 9
I've done that on my previous G750JX the 1TB 840 EVO will fit just perfectly.

All you have to do is this:

In your current OS, use BackTracker to coy your current OS / Recovery partition to a 16GB USB Flash Disk

Now,

- Remove your 256GB SSD and replace it with the 1TB 840 EVO
- Disconnect your 1TB mechanical HDD just temporarily otherwise it will be wiped out during the recovery

Plug in the USB stick which has has the recovery on it and while booting up, press the ESC button to get the boot menu

Choose the USB stick as the bootable option

The recovery process will start and it will return your computer to factory state with all drivers installed BUT on your 840 EVO

After this is done, connect your 1TB HDD then reinstall your apps/games on your EVO for max sped
ALIENWARE 18 Laptop
CPU: Intel Core i7-4900MQ CPU @ 3.8 GHz (8MB Cache)
Graphics: Dual GeForce GTX 780M SLI 2x4 GB GDDR5 RAM
Sound: Realtek ALC668 HD Audio with Klipsch Speakers
Memory: 32 GB Kingston HyperX 1866 MHz DDR3 PC3-14900 RAM
Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB SSD + Samsung 850 PRO 1 TB SSD + Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB mSATA SSD
Screen: Samsung LTM184HL01 18.4" WLED FHD (1920 X 1080) TrueLife Display PLS 16:9 1080p [SDC4C48]

AloneQuotient
Level 7
Just wanted to add out here that I added the 1tb Samsung evo without any issues. Removed the old SSD, unscrewed it from the mount provided, wasnt soldered after all. The EVO fit in the mount like a dream. Backtracker did the rest.

As a side note I added 16gigs of ram to bring it to a total of 32gigs. Unlike some posts here recommending 1.35 DDR3L, mine said 1.5V etched onto the slots, so I just went with the regular 1.5V Corsair 1600mhz 204-pin SODIMM. No issues so far. Making a ramdisk now.

AloneQuotient wrote:
Just wanted to add out here that I added the 1tb Samsung evo without any issues. Removed the old SSD, unscrewed it from the mount provided, wasnt soldered after all. The EVO fit in the mount like a dream. Backtracker did the rest.

As a side note I added 16gigs of ram to bring it to a total of 32gigs. Unlike some posts here recommending 1.35 DDR3L, mine said 1.5V etched onto the slots, so I just went with the regular 1.5V Corsair 1600mhz 204-pin SODIMM. No issues so far. Making a ramdisk now.

AloneQuotient, sorry to say that is just Asus using up the physically compatible sockets they have left from the last generation - the 1.28/1.35/1.5v SODIMM's use the same socket. Asus should have put a sticker over the 1.5v embossed in the plastic saying 1.35v required, but they didn't 😞

4700HQ Haswell specifics DDR3L:
http://ark.intel.com/products/75116/Intel-Core-i7-4700HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

DDR3L 1333/1600 SoDIMM Validation Results
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/platform-memory/ddr3l-1333-1600-sodimm-chief-river-validation...

And, our own G750 Forum sticky:

Upgraders: 1.35V memory is required!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33744-Upgraders-1.35V-memory-is-required

" Upgraders: 1.35V memory is required!

Please note we fit 1.35V memory into our G750s. New Haswell CPUs require this and using 1.5V memory can cause problems along the lines of:

> Overheating
> Damage to the CPU IMC (due to the increased potential difference)
> Greater battery use than our stated values.

Also remember for every DIMM you add you increase the power consumption by 1-3W each, depending on what you buy."

My JH, and many other G750's, came with 1.28v memory.