cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does anyone know the response time for the built in display?

Wr3ckloose
Level 7
i have a g750jz and i was wondering what the built in display response time was, in "ms". they say a good gaming response time is anywhere from 1 to 3 ms. i have duel asus 27in displays that are rated at 5 ms. that's not considered the best but the lag is not noticed my many. so that means the laptop display has to be lower right? i mean, this is considered a gaming laptop. i cant find the info on google.
13 REPLIES 13

hmscott
Level 12
Wr3ckloose wrote:
i have a g750jz and i was wondering what the built in display response time was, in "ms". they say a good gaming response time is anywhere from 1 to 3 ms. i have duel asus 27in displays that are rated at 5 ms. that's not considered the best but the lag is not noticed my many. so that means the laptop display has to be lower right? i mean, this is considered a gaming laptop. i cant find the info on google.

Wr3ckloose, Asus uses several panel make/models, so you have to look at what your laptop has, take that make/model number, and use google to find the specifications sheet.

I use hwinfo64 - don't check Sensors only or Summary only at start, let it go through to the Inventory page. Go to the monitor section, and copy the results of the make / model line, and use google to look up a useful specifications page.

AUO B173HW02 V1 specification - click on specification tab

https://www.google.com/search?q=AUO++++++++++B173HW02+V1+++specification

This site has good details on lots of panels:
http://www.panelook.com/B173HW02%20V1_AUO_17.3_LCM_parameter_17335.html

Response Time : 8 (Typ.)(Tr+Td)

More detail from the downloaded pdf

http://www.twscreen.com/media/pdf/M20121224094347950/B173HW02_V1_Ver0.1_20110427_201306195161.pdf

Response Time [ms] 8 typ / 16 Max

Item Symbol Conditions Min. Typ. Max.
Response Time RT Rising + Falling --- 8 16 msec

I have seen AUO, ChiMei, and Samsung panels with variation in model numbers.

hwinfo64 download - I use the Beta, also available via update/download in the hwinfo64 app
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Let us know what you find 🙂

Wr3ckloose
Level 7
so for yours, its 8 ms? that's, terrible, right? :eek:

Wr3ckloose wrote:

Do you think you'll notice the difference between that and, say, 5 ms?

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

Prostar Computer wrote:
Do you think you'll notice the difference between that and, say, 5 ms?

idk. i haven't played on a 8ms screen yet. ive just read that anything over ,i think, 5 was starting to get into too much lag. ( for serious fps gamers i guess) from what i can tell, my 5ms screens are slightly slower than my built in screen. thats why i was asking the question...

Wr3ckloose wrote:

Wr3ckloose, I don't notice any scene lag at 8ms 🙂

Did you look up your screen? What are the numbers?

hmscott wrote:
Wr3ckloose, I don't notice any scene lag at 8ms 🙂

Did you look up your screen? What are the numbers?

not yet, and i appreciate you providing that info for me. i just haven't had time yet. i will as soon as i get the chance. i just figured that since this is a " gaming pc" that they would include a built in monitor that reflects the ideal response time for games. so i was kinda shocked to see yours was 8ms. guess that's more money for them to buy their 1ms 25 inch monitor, right? lol, smh...

if yours is 8, then mine is probably 8 too, right? you have a g750jz?

Wr3ckloose wrote:
not yet, and i appreciate you providing that info for me. i just haven't had time yet. i will as soon as i get the chance. i just figured that since this is a " gaming pc" that they would include a built in monitor that reflects the ideal response time for games. so i was kinda shocked to see yours was 8ms. guess that's more money for them to buy their 1ms 25 inch monitor, right? lol, smh...
if yours is 8, then mine is probably 8 too, right? you have a g750jz?

Wr3ckloose, it only takes 2 minutes to install, run and read the model number, and then google for the pdf...

I have a JH, they usually have AUO panels, but Chi Mei / Samsung panels do show up as well.

As you experienced with the perceived responsiveness of the laptop LCD being quicker than your 5ms rated monitor panel, there are many contributing factors to the actual response time than the sum of the specifications of the elements involved.

The JH AUO panel is great, I have no desire to replace it.

hmscott wrote:
Wr3ckloose, it only takes 2 minutes to install, run and read the model number, and then google for the pdf...

I have a JH, they usually have AUO panels, but Chi Mei / Samsung panels do show up as well.

As you experienced with the perceived responsiveness of the laptop LCD being quicker than your 5ms rated monitor panel, there are many contributing factors to the actual response time than the sum of the specifications of the elements involved.

The JH AUO panel is great, I have no desire to replace it.

I have the same display as you do hmscott, pretty smooth for video playback, and colors are good, only grip are the vewing angles which arent that good, wish they used an IPS whith a higher resloution like 1440p 😄

FalconFX wrote:
I have the same display as you do hmscott, pretty smooth for video playback, and colors are good, only grip are the viewing angles which arent that good, wish they used an IPS whith a higher resloution like 1440p 😄

FalconFX, the higher the resolution the higher the bandwidth and processing power needed to deliver the same FPS, and in a laptop, that means more heat to contend with - where is it going to go?

I was reading the user reviews for the new MSI Ghost GS60 today, and already some are admitting it gets painfully hot under the GPU... just a little longer into a gaming marathon before their thighs burst into flames 🙂

I constantly correct the angle of the laptop screen to make it face me correctly, so I never notice the off angle issue. I don't understand how people can use a laptop with the screen askew from their viewing plane anyway.

Maybe the cooling pad makers should build auto-tracking turntable into their designs with a sensor taking eye angle measurements to automatically spin the laptop to meet our eyes - I would buy one!