Did you mean: 

Games stuttering in Win8.1 and stability problems

Grestorn
Level 8
I've recently built a new system with these components:

Asus Rampage V - Intel i7 5960X @ 4.3 GHz - 16 GB Corsair DDR4 2800
2x EVGA GTX 980 SC (SLI) @ 1514 / 3900 MHz
Silverstone Fortress FT02 - Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G 1050
aquaduct 720 XT mark V - Aqua Computer cuplex kryos HF - EK Waterblocks EK-FC980 Nickel

I have a couple of problems which might be caused by the motherboard (using BIOS Version 0705).

The most serious and curious problem is that some games show an irregular and heavy stuttering, especially when moving around. Affected is Shadow of Mordor and Bioshock: Infinite among others. Some games work fine though. The problem exists in Windows 8.1 only! I reinstalled Win 8.1 completely, but the problem persists. In Windows 7, though, the games run perfectly smooth, so I'm pretty sure that the hardware itself works fine.

I've tried everything, like reverting to BIOS defaults (i.e. no OC), disabling SLI, reinstalling Win 8.1... no effect. The problem persists. Something with the different RTC routines in Win 8.1 perhaps?

Second problem: The USB 3 connections are unstable. Especially when using USB 3 hubs. I get error messages saying that the system resources are insufficient when I connect certain devices. It cannot be related to the USB power supply, though, since the USB hubs are all powered and the same setup worked just fine on my old system.
Also, the Logitech G19 keyboard often fails to be initialized correctly when attached to an USB 3 connector. It works just fine on the "KeyBot" connector, though, however the keyboard fails to work at all, if the KeyBot is turned on (which I don't really mind, though, since I don't need that feature anyway).

Third problem: The board is unstable during boot. Like some other people here have written, it sometimes fails to boot at all showing various error codes. After a power cycle, it usually works fine. But a more serious problem seems to be connected to the USB hand off procedure. The boot of the OS is failing sometimes when the board is doing its USB hand off to the OS. At least that's what I assume, since the OS boot is hanging when the USB devices (keyboard) are usually initializing and if I turn off the USB hand off in the BIOS settings, this crash never seems to happen - for the tradeoff that I cannot use the keyboard for the Windows Boot menu, which I need.

And finally a question:

I've connected the 8 pin power connector top of the CPU and the molex connector at the bottom. But I couldn't connect the additional 4 pin power connector at the top, because my power supply just doesn't have an additional connector for that.
Could that be the cause of some of my problems?

Thanks & regards!
Intel 12900K - Asus Maximus z690 Formula - 2x16 GB G.Skill DDR5 6000/36 - PNY RTX 3090
Acer Predator x27 - Thermaltake Core P5 - Corsair HX850i
-> Bilder und weitere Details <-
3 REPLIES 3

SGMRock
Level 9
I had stability problems when I was overclocking over 4.2GHz before I connected the extra 4 pin power at the top of my MB. Fortunately my PS came with an 8 and 4 pin so I was able to use both but I didn't think I needed both until the Asus guys here recommended it for stability while overclocking.

Some people were reporting issues with the USB 3.0 ports from Asmedia. Both the Asmedia and Intel 3.0 ports have drivers. The Asmedia ones have newer drivers than what's on Asus website. The newer drivers seem to be more stable and have fixed the issues. Asmedia USB 3.0 drivers version 1.16.18.1 is what I'm using now, found them on Station Drivers website, they are WHQL certified. http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/articles/1163-asmedia-asm-104x-107x-usb-30-controller-drive...
Intel USB 3.0 driver seem to be included in Windows.

I assume you also installed the Chipset drivers?
Asus ROG Rampage VI Apex 2002 BIOS / Intel i9-7900X / G.Skill TridentZ RBG F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 17-17-17-37
LG 38" 38GL950G-B Ultrawide / EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid/ Sound Blaster AE-5
Corsair H115i Pro CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2 / Corsair Arctic White T780 Case

Chino
Level 15
Problem 1. Hard to tell. Too many factors in play. Could be anything from a Windows issue to a driver issue.

Problem 2 & 3. Windows 8.1 installs the generic driver for the USB 3.0 ports on its own. Use those for now instead of using the ones at the Rampage V Extreme support page. The X99 platform will have compatibility issues with some legacy hardware. So you should contact the maker of your USB devices for a firmware update. I see that you're running 2800MHz RAM. Depending on the quality of your CPU, you might need to manually tweak VCCSA a little. If you fail to post and see a BD QCODE stucked on the DEBUG LED, that's always almost related to VCCSA.

Both the 24 pin and 8 pin power connector is mandatory. And on this platform, it is highly recommended to connect that extra 4 pin power connector as well especially if you're planning on overclocking and doing stress tests. I've looked over your PSU and it doesn't come with the 4 pin power connector unfortunately which surprises me since it's a 1000W unit after all.

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Try disabling SLI to see if you still get the stuttering? i heard a few people having problems with there SLI GTX 980 and it probably is related to drivers, Theres no fix for the USB just use the windows driver there the most stable i still get problems with mine all you can do is swap ports until you get no problems because not all the ports do have problems. As Chino said increase your VCCSA aka CPU system agent voltage by + 0.075-0.150v see what works the best for you.