cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gene VII: using miniPCIe WiFi + M.2 simultaneously (and recommendations?)

Lloyd_Rage
Level 7
Hello ROG Forums,

I am spec'ing a build centered around the Gene VII for myself. Hopefully, you can help me out a bit here. I wanted to make sure that if I elect to use both a miniPCIe WiFi card, and a M.2 SSD, that they won't conflict with each other. I know they share bandwidth - will this result in any decreased performance from either component?

I'm also open to suggestions about what mPCIe card I should choose - I want to ensure I get something that is compatible with the board.

In the event that I should avoid mPCIe, could anyone recommend a good PCIe 2.0 card for the x4 slot on the Gene? I sort of wanted to keep that slot open though, to leave myself the opportunity to drop a second GPU card in the adjacent slot down the road.

I plan on using a Samsung XP941 M.2 SSD. In another thread, I saw someone suggest this combo card, only to have the next poster say that it would not be compatible with the Gene VII. Edit: Guess I can't post URLs yet since I'm new. The SKU is SKU: 90MC01X1-M0XBN0

Apologies if this is all contemporary common knowledge; the last time I built a system was 2009. Your input is most appreciated.

Best regards,

Lloyd Rage
1 REPLY 1

Lloyd_Rage
Level 7
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?47497-PCI-Express-lane-allocation-on-ASUS-TUF-ROG-Z97-mothe... According to this, no, I can't use them both at the same time. Hope this helps anyone else who might have wondered the same thing.