cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G73 Crashing While Gaming

Retired
Not applicable
Well I have been experiencing this problem for a few months and the problem occurs at random times. Sometimes it can occur every 20 minutes or not at all in a day. When I am playing games such as World of Warcraft or League of Legends I will just be playing then my screen will go black and ultimately the device will shut off. When I go to press the power button it acts like a force shut down when it asks how you want to start windows. This problem gets more annoying each and I am really looking for a solution. Help..
22 REPLIES 22

xeromist
Take a look at your event viewer and see if anything corresponds to the shut downs:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-Event-Viewer
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Okay it came up with Live Kernel Event with temperature

dstrakele
Level 14
You can check if the System or Application Event Logs indicate any Errors or Warnings prior to previous lockups as xeromist recommends. In the System Event Log, there will be an Eventlog EventID 6008 that states "The previous system shutdown was unexpected". This indicates the system lockup. You can filter for this event to see when your system lockups occurred, then clear the filter to see if any Errors or Warnings occurred previous to the lockup. You can use the time of the Eventlog EventID 6008 to examine the Application Eventlog to see if any Warnings or Errors occurred in it prior to the time of the System Event Log EventID 6008.

Check a couple of hours prior to the Eventlog EventID 6008 time and report the Event Source, EventID's, and text of the Errors and Warnings.

High GPU and CPU temperatures from gaming can result in the crashes you experience. The system shuts down to prevent heat damage. Install RealTemp or SpeedFan and monitor GPU and CPU temps. If they reach into the 90's C or higher, you'll want to attempt some cooling maintenance such as blowing out your fans and exhaust with compressed gas. There are videos on YouTube that detail this procedure. Repasting the GPU (http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?946-G73JH-GPU-Overheating-Observations-and-Suggestions-...) may also be on your "to do" list.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

fuzon1337
Level 10
What kind of G73 have you bought? If it's G73JH I read in this other forum that it could be a GSOD problem, and then the solution is to install the ATI drivers 10.1
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

Retired
Not applicable
I have the g73 jw

xeromist
As dstrakele said, try to keep track of your temps to see if the shutdowns coincide with a temperature spike. Another utility that I sometimes uses is speccy, but only use one utility at a time.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
I had same problem with my G73jh shutting down during gaming, later I found out it was due to overheating. For me solution was inexpencive , I ran to nearest computer store and bought one of those cans with pressuerd air inside. make sure u get those with long straws so u can stick it in the laptop vents and give it a good blow. When I did it, for my self and my friends, huuugeeee cloud of dust came out... overall temperature droped alot, and performance alot bettter. I recomend to do it atleast 1s in 2 weeks. Cheers

Retired
Not applicable
I have been experiencing my G73jh series going black screen on me the past two days. I checked my event viewer and it says Kernel Power.
I took out my battery and ran it on straight AC and no issues. DO I send in a request for a new battery? or is it actually something else causing it?

JRd1st
Level 12
Did you put your battery back in and recreate the problem?

How old is your notebook?
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com