cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

...UH.. What the hell? ASUS Doesnt support Overclocking?

Squall_Rinoa89
Level 8
Soooo!

I sent in an E-mail to inform ASUS that the 2012 Bio's does not let me overclock at all on my Maximus VII Hero without resulting in a BSOD.

First response I got back was that my claim will be escallated to level 2.

Now! I got an email with this!

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting ASUS.

We are sorry to inform you that ASUS does not provide support for overclocking. The primary reason is it might induce damge to the processor.

Should you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us for any clarifications or assistance.

ASUS appreciates your business.

Warm Regards,
Manny.P

Customer Service Center.
ASUSTek Computer Inc.

SO Asus... What the hell!?
Lian Li 011 Dynamic White Case
Intel Core i9 Coffee lake 9900K @ 5.1GHz
ASUS STRIX Z390-E LGA 1151
Corsair DDR4 Corsair Dominator 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CAS 18
EVGA nVidia RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA 10GB
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 PSU
1x 512GB SAMSUNG 860 PRO SSD
2x 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
1x WD BLACK 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA Hard Drive (6.0Gb/s)
7 REPLIES 7

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Nothing surprising there. That is the public stance of all motherboard manufactures. If the current version UEFI does not perform as you want use a different version.

ExtRemeOcD
Level 7
using 2012 version with no problems on VII Formula

ExtRemeOcD wrote:
using 2012 version with no problems on VII Formula

mine kept resulting in a BSOD with any form of overclock. Yet.. completely fine in 1104.
Lian Li 011 Dynamic White Case
Intel Core i9 Coffee lake 9900K @ 5.1GHz
ASUS STRIX Z390-E LGA 1151
Corsair DDR4 Corsair Dominator 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CAS 18
EVGA nVidia RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA 10GB
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 PSU
1x 512GB SAMSUNG 860 PRO SSD
2x 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
1x WD BLACK 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA Hard Drive (6.0Gb/s)

Tokens210
Level 10
Yes Asus not supporting over clocking doesn't sound surprising, most companies do this

Intel makes unlocked processors specifically for over clocking yet they don't support over clocking in and of itself, if they did ppl would probly try to return items or sue them for unlocked chips not over clocking like many 4770k chips

Same with Asus, they build board capable of over clocking and have guides on how to do so but if they 100% fully supported and backed it they would have to shell out money on any board that "the user" felt didn't work enough or work properly enough

Not to mention as they stated over clocking can lead to hardware failing or flat out breaking in which case they need to be protected from ppl trying to return items they flat out broke by pushing to far
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Tokens210 wrote:
Yes Asus not supporting over clocking doesn't sound surprising, most companies do this

Intel makes unlocked processors specifically for over clocking yet they don't support over clocking in and of itself, if they did ppl would probly try to return items or sue them for unlocked chips not over clocking like many 4770k chips

Same with Asus, they build board capable of over clocking and have guides on how to do so but if they 100% fully supported and backed it they would have to shell out money on any board that "the user" felt didn't work enough or work properly enough

Not to mention as they stated over clocking can lead to hardware failing or flat out breaking in which case they need to be protected from ppl trying to return items they flat out broke by pushing to far

It isn't that. It's that new overclockers who overvolt their CPUs and can end up damaging or destroying them would sue either the chip or motherboard manufacturer for this problem.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Antronman wrote:
It isn't that. It's that new overclockers who overvolt their CPUs and can end up damaging or destroying them would sue either the chip or motherboard manufacturer for this problem.

That's what I was saying lol they won't say they fully support as they would then be liable or ppl would at least believe they were, I just made it over complicated with other variables and examples lol
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Asus does support overclocking on ROG series motherboards - however you may need to contact them via phone for OC support.

Just becaues Asus supports overclocking on ROG series motherboards, does not mean that Asus is necessarily liable for damage caused by overclocking - the two points are not mutually inclusive.