cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 7260AC terrible wireless speeds... anyone else having problems?

Richdog
Level 7
So, we all know that this wireless adapter has real potential problems, the internet is full of horror stories from people about this card.

I did tests today and am consistently getting download speeds of 30Mbps (out of a possible 125Mbps sustained speed, which I get when wired). My crappy Aetheros adapter in my old Acer PC gets 100Mbps sustained download speeds on 5ghz Wireless N, so it is clear that this wireless card is dramatically and horrendously underperforming. My laptop is placed around 4m from my router in the same room, with little to no interference from anything else, so conditions are ideal.

I have tried multiple channels and settings on my router, and tonight will further experiment with the driver-level power saving features etc to see if something is wrong with the software settings on the ASUS itself.

I heard another guy on another forum telling me to try "multiple versions of drivers until you find one that works better", but for me that 's too random.

So, how are you guys doing with your Intel 7260AC cards? Did you have issues? Any tips solutions you used to solve them? 😄

Regards,

Rich.

UPDATE 20.11.2014

GOOD NEWS GUYS!

Before I left home for work I Googled someone with a similar issue and managed to fix my initial throughput problems.

The solution was this... https://communities.intel.com/thread/47426?start=15&tstart=0

Basically on your router you need to "Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings" in the QoS section on your router settings (mine is Netgear 6300, maybe yours is in a different place).

I now get the full internet connection speed that my Wireless N-equipped laptop gets!

However, what I have not tested yet is if I will get through Wireless AC throughput between my router and my laptop, or if the Intel settings page now states that I am connecting at AC speeds.

However, this is already a BIG improvement! 😄

PS: Please note that this an issue specific to this Intel chipset... all my other laptop WLAN cards are 100% fine without this setting enabled...
42 REPLIES 42

seagle7
Level 7
I haven't properly tested the WIfi but I did have to make a driver update of the intel wireless card, so you should start with that, I'll do some tests tonight and post my results, good luck

Same issue here, im actually downloading at 50kbit/sec...

C'mon Asus... it's my seconde laptop in 4 months, the first one was a G750Jm with BOSD and now the G751JY with bass issue and slow wireless speeds...
What am i supposed to do? Send it back and wait for weeks for a new one with probably sames issues?

Sagi
Level 7
Haven't had any issues with my wireless network @ 40/5mbit connection, regardless of where I am in the house 🙂
The King of the north!

irablumberg
Level 7
I updated my drivers immediately. After that Windows reports connection speed of 500+Mb/s. On speedtest.net, I consistently get 50 Mb/s which is as fast as my internet service goes. I have not tested transfer speeds within my home network, but overall things seem to be working well.

Good luck.

irablumberg wrote:
I updated my drivers immediately. After that Windows reports connection speed of 500+Mb/s. On speedtest.net, I consistently get 50 Mb/s which is as fast as my internet service goes. I have not tested transfer speeds within my home network, but overall things seem to be working well.
Good luck.

irablumberg, what drivers did you update? What version did you upgrade to? Where did you download it from?

And, most importantly, what make/model of Router/Access Point are you connecting to?

hmscott wrote:
irablumberg, what drivers did you update? What version did you upgrade to? Where did you download it from?

And, most importantly, what make/model of Router/Access Point are you connecting to?

I went to the Intel website. Search for the 7260AC drivers.

I have a mix of Asus N and Netgear AC routers and they all work well with the g751.

irablumberg wrote:
I went to the Intel website. Search for the 7260AC drivers.

I have a mix of Asus N and Netgear AC routers and they all work well with the g751.

irablumberg, if you look in the Programs and Features listing, what is the version number for that driver, it is over on the right side.

You can also use the Intel Driver Update Utility to find the latest driver, most of the time 🙂

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

We are just wondering what the version number you have installed, since you are getting good performance out of it. The model numbers of the routers would be nice, and if it isn't too much trouble, the firmware versions running. These little details add up to a compatible functional pairing, which is eluding some others...

Thanks irablumberg!

I just updated to the latest drivers via the Intel Update Tool and still getting the exact same poor download speeds...

I also still only have an option for maximum WIreless N speeds in the device manager then WLAN adapter settings. I have a Netgear 6300 v2 Wireless AC router.

Very dissappointing.

irablumberg wrote:

Good luck.

Yes please... always mention which drivers!

I checked my WLAN card settings and I only have options for Wireless N... no AC at all.

It amazes me how ASUS can ship out Wireless AC cards with the drivers installed that only allow Wireless N... I mean seriously, is this not checked before shipping out en masse?