cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AI Suite 3 issues

stickman57
Level 7
Hello,

I recently got my new ROG Maximus VII Ranger mobo, and have been very pleased with it. However, I have noticed some issues with the bundled AI Suite software and was wondering if anyone had any solutions.

First of all, I cannot seem to get the USB BIOS Flashback feature to work. If I try to search manually, it simply sits on the 'checking, please wait' popup dialogue without making any evident process. Its not a big deal, but would be handy for future updates.

And more prominently, I tried using 5 way optimization today. After running through the CPU Level up and fan tuning, it came onto the EPU section. During this, my computer shuts itself down, and I have to manually power it back on. When I did this, it booted up to the 'Windows did not shutdown correctly' screen, from which I booted up normally and everything was fine (apart from none of my case fans were working, but that was down to Fan Xpert not working with my PWM fan hub, I quickly fixed this). After moving my fans onto my mobo, I ran it again, to the same result.

Tl;dr - Does anyone know why my system crashes while going through the EPU phase of the 5 way optimization feature on AI Suite?

Specs:
i5 4690k @ 4.2Ghz (oc by AI Suite)
8GB Crucial Sport @ 1600
ASUS Maximus VII Ranger
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb

Program versions -
USB BIOS Flashback - 1.02.06
Dual Intelligent processors - 1.01.74
(if you want any more info feel free to ask!)

Cheers,
5 REPLIES 5

RickSinGA
Level 11
No expert here SM, but I know what you are going to here from the experts; only use the AI Suite to figure out your best OC if you have to, then do it through the BIOS. You should be able to get the same OC with a lot less vCore. There are some really good folks around that will be able to help if you are patient.

Rick S.

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi stickman57 and Welcome to ROG

As RickSinGA says you should only OC your system through the BIOS for more reliable and stable results.

To flash your Bios, the best method is to use an (empty) USB stick, formatted to fat32
Download the latest Bios file 2012 from ASUS Support to the USB stick and at the same time the renamer tool from utilities section.
Activate the renamer to convert the file to M7R.CAP and check it has done its job.
Plug the USB stick into the flashback port on the IO panel with your system powered down but still connected to your PSU.
Press the button marked BIOS for 3 secs till it starts to flash, when it stops, it is done.

Flashing Bios is not without risk and should only be conducted if you have stability issues or for improved functionality.

MM
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Thanks, I'll go try that. So is that fact that AI Suite is OCing for me making my PC crash during the EPU phase?

Will I have to turn off the OCing inside AI Suite before I go and OC via the mobo, or will AI Suite detect that it's been changed elsewhere and just leave it?
Thanks again,

stickman57 wrote:
Thanks, I'll go try that. So is that fact that AI Suite is OCing for me making my PC crash during the EPU phase?

Will I have to turn off the OCing inside AI Suite before I go and OC via the mobo, or will AI Suite detect that it's been changed elsewhere and just leave it?
Thanks again,

Hi stickman57.

1. Asus EPU could be causing you problems but not definitively.
The Asus EPU is a stand alone unit that aims to reduce power consumption under various circumstances. Without installing AI Suite, you have access to the "Lite" features, which actively enables/disables motherboard power phases and CPU frequency/voltage on the basis of system load.
This can be done in various ways! It is a power saving feature.

2. Whatever parameters and settings are set in Bios will override anything within Windows including AISuite.
Don't forget to save an OC profile when changes have been made,in case things go belly up.

BTW: When you change any frequency or voltage setting your system will momentarily shut down but will power back up again if satisfactory changes have been made and accepted by the Bios.

MM
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

stickman57
Level 7
Cheers for all the help MM! This is my first build so still quite new to this all - but I'll try it anyway.
Thanks again,
stickman57