cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JM Installed SSD Problems

craveywd
Level 7
I bought the G751JM, and am having trouble with the computer since installing the SSD. I installed a Samsung 840 PRO 128GB SSD, and used the migration software to clone the HDD to the SSD. Since then , I looked up how to make it my primary boot drive, and I accessed my BIOS by holding SHIFT while restarting the computer, and selected the SSD as my boot drive. After restart, I confirmed that it worked through the disk management panel, and the SSD is showing as the Boot drive,(primary partition), and the HDD is no longer a boot drive, but it still shows it being a (primary partition). The problem I am having is, some standard applications I attempt to open(PC Settings) won't open, and every 30-60 seconds, my background will flash to the green background I chose for my windows 8.1 interface, and a loading icon will appear around the mouse, then it stops with an error message showing up and going back to my normal desktop. I do not remember what the error message says cause it hasn't showed up the past couple of times, I have no idea what to do beyond this point. I'm fairly new to the gaming PC world, and am trying to learn this stuff by myself versus paying Best Buy out the butt for things I can DIY. PLEASE HELP!
8 REPLIES 8

hmscott
Level 12
craveywd wrote:
I bought the G751JM, and am having trouble with the computer since installing the SSD. I installed a Samsung 840 PRO 128GB SSD, and used the migration software to clone the HDD to the SSD. Since then , I looked up how to make it my primary boot drive, and I accessed my BIOS by holding SHIFT while restarting the computer, and selected the SSD as my boot drive. After restart, I confirmed that it worked through the disk management panel, and the SSD is showing as the Boot drive,(primary partition), and the HDD is no longer a boot drive, but it still shows it being a (primary partition). The problem I am having is, some standard applications I attempt to open(PC Settings) won't open, and every 30-60 seconds, my background will flash to the green background I chose for my windows 8.1 interface, and a loading icon will appear around the mouse, then it stops with an error message showing up and going back to my normal desktop. I do not remember what the error message says cause it hasn't showed up the past couple of times, I have no idea what to do beyond this point. I'm fairly new to the gaming PC world, and am trying to learn this stuff by myself versus paying Best Buy out the butt for things I can DIY. PLEASE HELP!

craveywd, try pulling out the original HDD, it isn't a good idea to keep the original source drive installed internally along with the clone. In fact, you should have pulled the original drive before booting on the clone.

If you can get the SSD to boot without the HDD installed, try recloning, but this time put the SSD into an external USB 3.0 enclosure while booted on the original HDD, then swap places after the cloning - put the HDD in the USB 3.0 enclosure and the SSD in the Bay that held the original HDD, then boot on the SSD.

Don't try to boot either the SSD or HDD while it is in the USB enclosure, Windows will reconfigure when it starts to boot, and fail. Messing up the drive such that it won't boot as an internal drive any longer.

128GB is way too small of a boot drive. As configured by Asus the C / (D, or E, or F) partition are on the boot drive - the space is split between the 2 partitions, so that will be about a 50GB C partition, way to small to be useful. I would rethink the 128GB SSD, and at least get a 256GB drive, 512GB/1TB preferable.

Good luck, and please let us know how it works out for you 🙂

hmscott wrote:
craveywd, try pulling out the original HDD, it isn't a good idea to keep the original source drive installed internally along with the clone. In fact, you should have pulled the original drive before booting on the clone.

If you can get the SSD to boot without the HDD installed, try recloning, but this time put the SSD into an external USB 3.0 enclosure while booted on the original HDD, then swap places after the cloning - put the HDD in the USB 3.0 enclosure and the SSD in the Bay that held the original HDD, then boot on the SSD.

Don't try to boot either the SSD or HDD while it is in the USB enclosure, Windows will reconfigure when it starts to boot, and fail. Messing up the drive such that it won't boot as an internal drive any longer.

128GB is way too small of a boot drive. As configured by Asus the C / (D, or E, or F) partition are on the boot drive - the space is split between the 2 partitions, so that will be about a 50GB C partition, way to small to be useful. I would rethink the 128GB SSD, and at least get a 256GB drive, 512GB/1TB preferable.

Good luck, and please let us know how it works out for you 🙂

The reason I got the 128GB is due to budget reason's. I spent every penny I had on my current setup, lol. I thought 128GB would be ample storage for just a simple boot.. Can the 128GB work at all with your provided instructions? (Which I do appreciate by the way!) Also, I wanted to keep the HDD installed to use as a storage drive as well.

craveywd wrote:
The reason I got the 128GB is due to budget reason's. I spent every penny I had on my current setup, lol. I thought 128GB would be ample storage for just a simple boot.. Can the 128GB work at all with your provided instructions? (Which I do appreciate by the way!) Also, I wanted to keep the HDD installed to use as a storage drive as well.

craveywd, I don't know, try it out 🙂

There have been posts from those who were able to successfully clone from the 1TB to a 128GB, and those that haven't - it is a matter of the success of the cloning program. Even with a larger SSD the Samsung migration software has not worked... some said it took 2 clonings for it to work using the the Samsung Migration software.

I used Macrium Reflect Free to successfully clone, but not the Samsung software, but now I use Asus Backtracker - it makes a bootable USB recovery flash drive from the original HDD that can be used to recover to a new SSD.

So there are several things to try 🙂

Good luck, and please come back and let us know how it works out for you 🙂

On my new 751JM adding a Samsung 850 Pro I had a some heartache getting it done what eventually worked for me is:

1. On the stock hard drive create a recovery disk onto a USB hard drive or thumb drive (need 21gb). *Search for "create recovery drive in Windows"
2. Run the included Samsung Cloning software. I tried several and it worked the best for me.
3. I also used "Partition wizard" and copied the recovery partition to the new drive, (the only partition the cloning software didn't get. Though don't know if this was an integral step.
4. Power off and remove the stock drive
5. Power on on the SSD, and run disk recovery from the Windows safe mode menu.

Couple notes.
* I had to do the process at least three times to get a good enough clone. It seems each cloning had different success rates. Basically your drive has a bunch of messed up registry bits from the move. All you have to do is a get a good enough clone to get through to the recovery options and start the recovery. Windows will fix up the rest.

*The best I could do was get to the safe mode menu before Windows login. I couldn't get a good enough clone to run recovery logged into windows. Shift f4 on boot up or Shift click on "Restart" on the login screen should get you there.

*You may have to edit your Bios safe boot setting to get it to see the USB recovery drive.

Hope that info helps. It cost me some many hours and perhaps a few face palms. Cheers!

JB

craveywd
Level 7
Alright!

I followed bits and pieces from both of your instructions that were given too me, and it seems to be working perfectly. Boy is it FAST! I'm blown away about how much faster it is than a normal HDD. Thank you guys so much for the instructions, and hopefully any other needing help will read the instructions you guys provided and it will help them as well. WOOT WOOT!! Time to game on
!;);););)

craveywd wrote:
Alright!

I followed bits and pieces from both of your instructions that were given too me, and it seems to be working perfectly. Boy is it FAST! I'm blown away about how much faster it is than a normal HDD. Thank you guys so much for the instructions, and hopefully any other needing help will read the instructions you guys provided and it will help them as well. WOOT WOOT!! Time to game on
!;);););)

plz give us the solution as step 1,2,3....

ammar.2520 wrote:
plz give us the solution as step 1,2,3....

Alrighty, this is EXACTLY what I did, and it works without any issues.

1) Created a recovery drive with a flash drive. (Search "create recovery drive" in windows search.
2) Installed the SSD in the extra slot underneath the laptop, while leaving the HDD still installed. (I did not have a USB transfer cable for the SSD)
3) I then performed a data migration(cloning) with ONLY the included Samsung software, exactly three times.
4) I shut down the computer, and then removed the HDD from its slot, and left the SSD in the extra slot.
5) I then booted the computer, and it defaulted the SSD as the primary boot drive with a recovery partition(I didn't need to use the Flash drive). I ran the test on the drive and made sure that all applications and files opened properly.
6) I then closed the computer leaving it on, and re-installed the HDD into the original bay it was removed from.
7) I then restarted my computer, and upon boot up, due to how fast my computer was ready to go I could tell it booted off of the SSD. I checked through disk management, and it still showed the SSD as the primary drive, and the HDD as an additonal drive. Also, through "My Computer", when you see the drives in the menu, the SSD drive should have the "Windows" Logo attached to it, and you should not see the logo next to the HDD or flash drive. When I did NOT perform these step as I listed, I saw the "Windows" logo next to both of the drives.

Hope this helps!

cablebandit
Level 7
I used the Macrium Reflect free version to clone a 500gb hd (150hb worth of os/data on it) to a 240gb ssd drive.....was easy and let me resize the the partitions right in the program. Great recommendation