cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio devices disabled, NEED HELP URGENT

Retired
Not applicable
Hello to you all, i have visited this forum many times for help, and it has been a lifesaver.
To the issue
I have a G73h A1. Tonight i decided to play Dead Rising 2, wich means changing the audio format to 48000hz but the Realtek Audio Driver i installed from the Asus site must of had sth bad for lunch, because i wasnt able to change the audio format from 192000 to 48000. it said error format not supported. so i uninstalled the realtek, and tried to use my stock driver cd. all in all, i gave up from installing it before it got to that, and went back and instaled the high def audio driver from asus.

i restart after the installation, but now my speakers are disabled. i go into the playback devices, the speakers are there, enabled and saying ready. i go into properties, and now the levels tab has NOTHING in it, not to mention the Advanced tab is gone. and whatever i changes i try to make, when i hit apply, are cancelled. ive tried multiple realtek drivers, including the newest ones from their site. NOTHING works. i work with this laptop, and i need it BADLY to work, so id really appreciate anyone who can offer me a solution. i also tried a system restore to BEFORE this whole installing driver things happened, but it doesnt change anth regarding drivers when i do a system restore.
42 REPLIES 42

JRd1st
Level 12
When I just looked at the downloads page for G73JH, Realtek SRS drivers were listed, not Realtek HD. If you installed the wrong driver uninstall that one and ......

If you aren't sure which to use, go into device manager and find your sound device and look under details for the device id. Get back to us with that.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
I have the SRS drivers installed right now. As for the device ID, im not sure how to get that. There are a lot of details about it, but youll have to name me the specific one, since there is none called Device ID.

JRd1st
Level 12
I'm sorry, it's Hardware ID

You see the 0269? That means it's the Realtek ALC 269 sound device
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
Ok i checked. the ID is correct, exactly like your screenshot. Everything seems fine in the Device Manager. One thing that happened was that after i uninstalled my Realtek drivers the first time, i didnt restart before installing my Realtek again., wich makes me think there is some kind of registry screw up in Windows, and its glitched because of that, no matter how many times i uninstall restart and install.

dstrakele
Level 14
I would've thought a restore to an earlier time would've undone the registry changes.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Retired
Not applicable
thats a curiosity too for me. i went to the realtek site and downloaded the 266 driver. installed. restarted. didnt work. so i restored the system to before all this debacle started, wich was about the time before i instaleld dead rising 2. i restore, go into the control panel, and the driver installed is the 266, wich puzzled me, because at the time i installed dead rising, the driver i had installed was the SRS.

dstrakele
Level 14
Are you getting any errors or warnings in the System or Application Event Logs on Startup or when you attempt to configure audio devices?

Retired
Not applicable
i get no errors at all. althou youd have to tell me where to get the logs. when i attempt to configure the speakers, it simply does nothing, and when i try to change something in the properties,it does nothing as well. a friend of mine and i are gonna reinstall windows this week, so that should fix this, althou im still puzzled about what happened.

dstrakele
Level 14
Click on Start and search for Event Viewer, then expand "Windows Logs" and select "System" or "Application". However, it really does sound like a borked audio driver.

Did you try Driver Sweeper (you can get it at http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-74-53-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference&...) to search for and remove any Realtek Audio driver remnants? Then reboot and reinstall the driver.