cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus 7 Gene Front Audio buzzing

mishka
Level 7
Just completed a new build with the Maximus VII Gene and noticed something weird about my front audio port. When I plug headphones or simple speakers into the rear I/O, sound comes out very clear, but when they're plugged into the front audio port, there is some latent buzzing present. The strange thing is that this buzzing appears to ONLY happen when the GPU is under load! Constant buzzing with Metro 2033, intermittent buzzing with FurMark, lots of buzzing with Heaven Benchmark, and *no* buzzing with Prime95.

Could the location of the SupremeFX card and its front audio connector be the issue here?

I have the HD audio cable running between my GPU card and a 212 EVO cooler. I'm pretty sure the cable is not actually touching the graphics card, though it might be touching the CPU heatsink a bit.

Thanks for your help!
4 REPLIES 4

Alberht
Level 7
I get this exact issue with the same motherboard/ SupremeFX sound system.
- When I play music through the same front headphone output from Spotify from the desktop (not in game in other words) there's no buzzing). Likewise in game or from desktop apps, no buzz from the rear.
- It happens when selecting AC97 or HD audio in options.
- Also when I have 2 audio streams or just one.
Starting to get really annoyed by this.

Pandur
Level 10
Try rerouting the cable for the front audio connectors. It could be picking up emf from a component in your computer, and it don't have to be touching it to do that.
Asus ROG G55VW:
CPU: i7 3630QM
GFX: Geforce GTX660M with 2GB ram
RAM: 2x8Gb 2133MHz Kingston HyperX Impact (surprisingly the G55VW uses the 2133 X.M.P. profile)
Storage: RAID0 with 2x 256Gb Crucial SSDs (both msata, one in a sata adapter)

Alberht
Level 7
I'll try that out, thanks.

strakv
Level 7
I had the same issue. Trying to re-route the cable didn't help, trying to wrap the cable with non-conductive adhesive shielding tape didn't help too. So i bought a used X-Fi Titanium card and the noise has gone. So it's not the cable that picks up EMI. It might be SupremeFX the card itself.