cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB powercuts

Frankz
Level 7
Issue:
I've been experiencing random & frequent powercuts to the USB devices that are plugged in.

So my motherboard/mouse would go off and back on for just a split second, (the keyboard/mouse are both lit so I can see the lights go off & back on), but each time that happens I have to re-plugin the keyboard or else I cant type. Sometimes the same thing happens for the headset(wireless). I have to pull out the usb transceiver & plug it back in for my pc to redetect the headset.

Another guy had a similar problem and told me to uninstall the ASMedia USB3 drivers, which I did. At first it seemed to have fixed the problem because I didn't experience a powercut for a couple hours but eventually it happened again... It's quiet annoying. After another user said RazerSynapse was causing it for him, I uninstalled razer for a week but that didn't do much either.

Any idea what's wrong & how I can fix this? This has been going on since I got the mobo and I want this to get this fixed.

Edit:
Some additional info; Keyboard & Mouse are currently plugged into the ROG Connect ports(apparently USB2.0), the powercuts also occur when using the keyboard/mouse in the USB3.0 ports.

System info;
Motherboard model: Asus R5E
UEFI Version: 802
CPU: i7 5820k
Memory kit part number (s) and amount in GB: GSkill Ripjaws 4, 4x4GB, F4-2400C15Q-16GRR
GPU: Asus GTX 780 DirectCUII
SSD/HDDs/Optical drives: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB, Samsung HD103SJ 1GB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2
USB Devices (model/version number):
Razer Deathadder 2013 - Model No: RZ01-0084
SteelSeries Apex Gaming Keyboard - Model No: 64145
Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows
Turtle Beach USB Transceiver - Model: Ear Force Z300 TX
USB Cable to a printer; Canon MX375
Kingston Datatraveler G4 32GB - Model No: DTIG4/32GB
Charging USB cable for the Turtle Beach Z300 Headphones

Monitor: Acer GR235H
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105
PC CASE: Corsair 750D
Operating system: Microsoft Activated yes/no? Yes, W8.1 Pro

Drivers Installed (include version):
Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.7324 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V10.0.17 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
Intel(R) Management Engine Interface V10.0.0.1204 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Driver V19.1.51.0 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
Wi-Fi Driver V6.34.223.5 for Windows 7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)
Intel AHCI/RAID Driver Path for Windows Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit & Win8 32bit & Win8 64bit & Win8.1 32bit & Win8.1 64bit.
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver software V13.1.0.1058 for Windows Win7 64bit & Win8 64bit & Win8.1 64bit---(WHQL).
Bluetooth Driver V12.0.0.9860 for Windows 8/8.1 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

Any third Party temp/voltage software installed: Ai Suite 3 & all of its additional programs, RealTemp, CPUZ, AIDA64
System Overclocked (provide details)?
Manual OC settings;
CPU speed: 4Ghz
Vcore: 1.075
LLC: 6
All other voltage settings on Auto
CPU/VRM Spread spectrum Disabled
EPU power saving Disabled
ASMedia USB driver Disabled in the BIOS

Bios settings pic;

16 REPLIES 16

Chino
Level 15
Maybe your USB devices aren't compatible with the X99 platform. Try disabling xHCI to see if the powercuts stop.

Thanks for the quick reply Chino.

So then I will lose USB3.0 functionality =/? It was one of the main reasons for upgrading(from x58 w/ usb2.0)

And do I also lose USB3.0 on the case usb3.0 ports?

Edit: and i'll disabled xHCI for a day and report back tomorrow to say if this solved it.

Chino
Level 15
Yes, you will lose the USB 3.0 functionality. Some legacy USB devices are not compatible with the X99 platform. If that's the case, you need to ask the manufacturer for an updated firmware. If none is provided, you'll just have to disable xHCI. It's a workaround of course.

Chino wrote:
Yes, you will lose the USB 3.0 functionality. Some legacy USB devices are not compatible with the X99 platform. If that's the case, you need to ask the manufacturer for an updated firmware. If none is provided, you'll just have to disable xHCI. It's a workaround of course.

Alright, all of that makes perfect sence but

Why does all the power get cut at once, on all devices simultaniously? The incompatibility of one device shouldnt affect those that are compatible i'd assume?
And the keyboard and mouse are both plugged in the 2 usb2.0 ports of the board which shouldnt be using xhci right?

Frankz wrote:
Alright, all of that makes perfect sence but

Why does all the power get cut at once, on all devices simultaniously? The incompatibility of one device shouldnt affect those that are compatible i'd assume?
And the keyboard and mouse are both plugged in the 2 usb2.0 ports of the board which shouldnt be using xhci right?

Are you running any other PCI-e cards apart from your GPU?

LiveOrDie wrote:
Are you running any other PCI-e cards apart from your GPU?

Nope, no other cards in the pcie slots, only a gpu in the first 16x slot

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Starting with the Z97 platform and moving forward both USB 2.0 and 3.0 are controlled by the xHCI controllers.

LiveOrDie
Level 11
The reason i asked was i was having the same problems but only when i had my sound card installed into the gray PCI-e slot after i changed slots all the USB cutouts stopped.

LiveOrDie wrote:
The reason i asked was i was having the same problems but only when i had my sound card installed into the gray PCI-e slot after i changed slots all the USB cutouts stopped.

Yea, you were the one who tried to help me at overclock.net and recommended me to uninstall the asmedia drivers 😛