cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active Frequency Mode in UEFI setup?

Grestorn
Level 8
I'm just tweaking the setting of my R5E. I came across the switch called "Active Frequency Mode" in the AI Suit's DIGI+ Power Control. It's disabled after booting.

I read up about that feature and it looks like it should always be turned on. But I couldn't find the corresponding setting in the UEFI setup. Did I miss it? Where is it?

And, while playing around with the AI Suite, is there a way to force it to an english UI? I live in Germany, but I don't want to cope with the quite unusual and unhelpful German translation in the AI Suite.
Intel 12900K - Asus Maximus z690 Formula - 2x16 GB G.Skill DDR5 6000/36 - PNY RTX 3090
Acer Predator x27 - Thermaltake Core P5 - Corsair HX850i
-> Bilder und weitere Details <-
9 REPLIES 9

Raja
Level 13
I'd leave active frequency mode on default - there's no major benefit to many of these settings and they are perfectly fine run at defaults.

Grestorn
Level 8
Yeah, I'd like to turn it ON in the BIOS since AI ASuits reports it as being turned OFF after booting, but I cannot find the setting 🙂
Intel 12900K - Asus Maximus z690 Formula - 2x16 GB G.Skill DDR5 6000/36 - PNY RTX 3090
Acer Predator x27 - Thermaltake Core P5 - Corsair HX850i
-> Bilder und weitere Details <-

Raja
Level 13
I'd leave it alone 🙂

jonstatt
Level 7
Raja, does the same apply to that power phase control in AI Suite, which seems to default to "extreme" rather than "optimised"? There are explanations in the GUI of what these things do, but it is hard to assess whether it really makes any difference.

Raja
Level 13
The rules for all of this are set to suit the loading conditions which is why I advise people to leave most of this stuff alone. If it were up to me, most of this stuff would be removed from UEFI and software as it encourages people toward misadventure of settings they are not equipped to understand. A lot of these settings require a real background in electronics to grasp - no matter how much we try to explain on forums, we cannot make up for the shortfall in knowledge requirements for people to truly grasp the subject. A lot of this explains why university courses have pre-requisite qualification requirements.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
The rules for all of this are set to suit the loading conditions which is why I advise people to leave most of this stuff alone. If it were up to me, most of this stuff would be removed from UEFI and software as it encourages people toward misadventure of settings they are not equipped to understand. A lot of these settings require a real background in electronics to grasp - no matter how much we try to explain on forums, we cannot make up for the shortfall in knowledge requirements for people to truly grasp the subject. A lot of this explains why university courses have pre-requisite qualification requirements.

There is a tendency with products from Taiwan, Japan and Korea to have "lots of buttons", "lots of features", even if half of them are redundant or make little/no difference. If you look at a UK stereo amplifier 20-30 years ago, you would often not even find tone controls incase they degrade the sound. But a Japanese amplifier from the same era was littered with buttons, knobs or even an EQ. I understand completely what you are saying. I have a grasp of electronics and have built and assembled many circuits in my time. But with a motherboard, there is a particular focus on specific electronic engineering aspects which many wouldn't have a clue about.

I am curious how many R5E users actually get a multimeter, oscilloscope out onto those solder/contact points on the MB? It's a cool feature, but I would question how many serious overclockers would use it, or know what it's telling them (beyond just seeing voltage dips/spikes etc).

Raja
Level 13
You would only use a DMM on those points. They are not for an oscilloscope. To scope a rail for noise or other anomalies the probe should be attached as close as possible to the supply - that includes the ground lead. Most people versed in using scopes and probes would know that.

A lot of pro overclockers use DMMs with the voltage read points to check applied voltage levels. They are fine for that.

jab383
Level 13
One of the reasons I switched from another make of motherboard to ASUS ROG is the plethora of adjustments in BIOS. I can usually get the board to do what I want in ways that weren't available on that other make.

What I usually need is the sort of guide that Raja writes. That's mostly for the language and terms of art - stuff I can relate to, but are called different things in different environments. It would help if the on-screen notes did more than parrot the title of the setting, but with the guides I can get a much better understanding.

Jeff

funky29cro
Level 7
Well my board is not in uefi mode and after i turned active frequency mode in bioa , my board gone crazy ,audio started skhreaching usb stoped working same as that screaching sound so sec working other sec working i can not describe that ,its like usb stoped working everytime screching sound screached (thats on board sound) . So my thought is they are saying dont use it becose its broken .