cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VII Hero-Which SATA Ports are Asmedia?

awave
Level 7
Hey,
Does anyone know which SATA ports on the VII Hero are the Asmedia ports and which are the Intel Chipset ports? I have a Samsung 850 Pro 128gb and it's performing way under specifications, and Samsung Magician is saying it's plugged into a SATA 2 port (see images below)...
Googled and saw that the Asmedia ports are a ton slower than the Intel ports, but having trouble finding info on which is which, and don't want to have to boot and check every port to find the right ones...since I'll be plugging in other HDDs and also switching my DVD drive to the Asmedia port...

http://imgur.com/QtbdUv1,lUIzec1#0

Thanks for the help!
5 REPLIES 5

Sparax
Level 9
Hi awave and welcome to the forums

The ASMedia ports are the bottom 2 labeled SATA6G_E1/2 as seen below.

Squall_Rinoa89
Level 8
awave wrote:
Hey,
Does anyone know which SATA ports on the VII Hero are the Asmedia ports and which are the Intel Chipset ports? I have a Samsung 850 Pro 128gb and it's performing way under specifications, and Samsung Magician is saying it's plugged into a SATA 2 port (see images below)...
Googled and saw that the Asmedia ports are a ton slower than the Intel ports, but having trouble finding info on which is which, and don't want to have to boot and check every port to find the right ones...since I'll be plugging in other HDDs and also switching my DVD drive to the Asmedia port...

http://imgur.com/QtbdUv1,lUIzec1#0

Thanks for the help!

Honestly that's really strange... I'm only using the top 4 SATA ports and Magician 4.5 states my 840 Evo 250GB and 120GB are plugged into a SaTa III and we have the same motherboard..

Have you installed both the Raid drivers, and Asmedia drivers? Just a suggestion if not.

Uploaded my two pics.. First two SATA Cables are my SSD's. Middle one is a standard 1TB HD and the bottom one is my DVD burner.
Lian Li 011 Dynamic White Case
Intel Core i9 Coffee lake 9900K @ 5.1GHz
ASUS STRIX Z390-E LGA 1151
Corsair DDR4 Corsair Dominator 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CAS 18
EVGA nVidia RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA 10GB
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 PSU
1x 512GB SAMSUNG 860 PRO SSD
2x 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
1x WD BLACK 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA Hard Drive (6.0Gb/s)

awave
Level 7
Thanks Sparax! I scoured the internet looking for an image like that one with no luck! 🙂 (is there a way to +rep you??)

Squall_Rinoa89 Yeah, I do have my drivers updated (except for RAID since I'm not using it yet-I have the latest Intel Chipset and Asmedia drivers though) but thanks for that suggestion.

It looks like you have yours plugged into the Intel ports which are definitely SATA III and a lot faster than the Asmedia ports, which is why yours are performing as they should. I'm pretty sure the Asmedia ports are also SATA III but I suppose Samsung Magician must just *assume* they're SATA II since they're much slower.

After reading around it seems that most people will plug their Blu-ray/DVD drives into the Asmedia ports since the lower speed only really makes a difference for SSDs (not sure about HDDs) but not for optical drives.

awave wrote:
Thanks Sparax! I scoured the internet looking for an image like that one with no luck! 🙂 (is there a way to +rep you??)

No probs mate and btw the image is from the Motherboards Manual 😄

The rep button is little star at the bottom left of the posters profile. 😉

Thanks !! I was also wondering which one to use? After all it was right there in the Manual in front of me...
but hey; i've just seen the first sata 3.0 port in my life!! I never knew Motherboards (like my Hero VII) could be that exciting to discover!