cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any advice for a future G751JY user? ^^

RMXM
Level 7
Okay first of all I would like to thank everyone that helped me from this forum decide in getting this product. 😄
This forum has such a friendly and helpful community that you don't see all the time.

So my reason for this thread is I wanna be prepared for when the laptop arrives tomorrow and I would like to ask some questions:)
1. When I first get the laptop out of the box should I plug it in directly to the power source or let it on the battery until it drains
and do some certain charging method or something like that ?

2. Is it wrong if I keep it hours on from the first day if I have many stuff to do on it?
3. When powering it on as it is FreeDOS I just put the windows CD inside and follow the Setup ? And regarding partitions my last one had some pre-made ones but it was still FreeDOS so I assume those don't have recovery partitions and I can delete and resize and format them as I wish?
4. Should I split the 1 TB into 200 and 800?(200 being the OS partition)
5. After I install windows and it's updates should I install a few drivers from the CD and the rest from the site? As I noticed some have some stuff to extract and I have no idea what exactly wish it wad just click and install like the Nvidia ones XD

That would be all I currently question if you have any extra tips and info I should be aware of please write.
Thank you for reading! ^_^
23 REPLIES 23

rockrog
Level 7
Hello.

I think first thing you should do is to uninstall GameFirst, in my case it caused download troubles and files corruptions particularly with windows update.
Then you should update your Intel wifi drivers, I had wifi connexion problems in particular when I ran the computer the first time. I still have some wifi troubles sometimes though.
Others should confirm that.

n0way
Level 7
Test it through and through for sound issues (plenty of units affected), keep a close eye on the battery (some people report it stops charging, easily fixable though), monitor temperatures under heavy load and make sure that the cooling system isn't underperforming for whatever reason.

G751's are plagued with issues at the moment, and I am under the impression that the only QA you can be certain of is the one you do yourself.

RMXM
Level 7
*shrugs* I hope mine will be plague free haha, thank you for the advice so far to both ^^
I will keep an eye on the battery and fans 😄 feel free for any other advice i wanna be sure i'm documented for it ^^
Oh and regarding monitor temperature how can i avoid that and those screen bleeds i keep hearing about ?

RMXM
Level 7
Bump anyone else with some more advice?^^
Wanna be sure I don't miss anything in a few hours when it arrives:)

Nate152

Nate152 wrote:
The first thing I would do when you get it is look over the manual.

Hello again ^^
Yup will certainly do that and I hope I won't get it with any screen bleeds or fan problems and such. If so I'l just return it and stick to the PC build you suggested even if it might take me bit more saving to do as I started looking for the parts in my country and they a little bit more expensive.

Nate152
All right, if you want to update the drivers and such and need help, post in the laptop section, you will get more help there.:)

That's a nice laptop you chose.

Nate152

Nate152 wrote:
That's too bad you have to pay more in your country, sorry to hear that.:(

Yeah, oh well hope it will go well with this laptop and in time I'l save for the pc also^^
Still waiting for it to arrive 😄
I'm guessing that on a freeDOS model there is nothing in any partition and I am free to format and remake them as I wish right?