cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MKV 720p Stutter

Retired
Not applicable
Hi All,

So, I've historically had issues with MKV files. Finally, after a fresh install of Win 7 64x and XBMC, 1080p MKV files with DTS and DD decoding are playing perfectly from my laptop to my A/V receiver and plasma TV via HDMI.

However, there's still an issue with 720p MKV files. What gives? Please let me know what I can provide to find a solution to this issue, thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

dstrakele
Level 14
What hardware are you using to play these files? Googling the title of your post, I see numerous hits on this issue. What recommendations have you tried to date?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Retired
Not applicable
Everything is stock ASUS G74SX. 16 GB memory, etc.

380mcn
Level 9
MKV.. are you sure you have the Matroska plugin? http://matroska.org/
perhaps XBMC has difficulties to read them of to process them.. have you tried VLC to play the .mkv just to be sure it isn't a hardware problem?

dstrakele
Level 14
If you have the Atheros Wireless Network Adapter, it may be worthwhile to upgrade the driver to 9.2.1.432 or later to eliminate the DPC Latency in the earlier driver versions. You could also download DPC Latency Checker to determine if other drivers on your system are causing latency.

Are you running the latest version of XBMC? It looks like you have some company in this stuttering issue with 720p .MKV files. 380mcn's idea to try another player is a good one (for troubleshooting's sake at least), although VLC also appears to have its share of people reporting this problem.

What Antivirus software are you running? Does disabling the Antivirus software Services and rebooting your system to unload the kernel mode driver(s) resolve the issue? If so, you could try excluding XBMC and the .MKV files from Antivirus scanning.

Since you report XBMC plays 1080p .MKV files perfectly, I'm suspicious that it is having trouble handling the 720p .MKV files and the above recommendations will have little if any effect.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

JRd1st
Level 12
OMG that Driver! If Asus would only update the driver on their support page, we'd have one third less cases. Lol
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com