cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G551JM-DH71/not sure if hardware issue: color gamut on display not very vibrant?

Plasticanimal
Level 7
First off: For most people this would be a non-issue I know but since I purchased this laptop for art purposes the ability to see a full range of color is very important to me.

What I want to know is:

Is this a problem with all laptops of this model.

If it is, is there another model of ROG with a more accurate color display around the price range of this one?

Things I have tried:

- I've already turned 'vibrant' off in ASUS Splended and adjusted the display for many hours now. But comparing the colors on the laptop screen of a chart of a gamut to the same picture on my mobile device: the colors on the mobile device are much richer. Even when they're the same size.

-The Graphics Card Driver is up to date

-I've also checked the color quality of a few art pieces of mine on another computer. Colors are still more vibrant on that screen than the ROG. That one has a TN display.

-Unfortunately I don't know what kind of panel display my phone has.

- I'm pretty sure I have an IPS display, but I could be wrong.
2 REPLIES 2

lizardking0
Level 7
Dude! I'm planning to return my 551 due to this very reason. I can work behind my old laptop for hours without any problems but 30 minutes of spending time on 551 and either my eyes are killing me or I have a bad headache. The colors are just weird.
I've been playing with the Intel HD color options changing contrast, brightness and other **** but the light is still crappy. I tried different stuff on the Asus Splendid or whatever but things are not better at all. I don't know what's wrong with it but I just can't have the same soothing colors on my 551jm as I do on my old HP Probook.
One thing that made it a bit better for me was to give red and green 40 contrast (lowest possible) while maintaining 50 for blue. It seems that a bit more blue can help things a little bit. But seriously if I don't find a solution for this in the next few days, I'll return it as much as I like it.
I spend a lot of time on my laptop everyday and the colors need to be soothing to my eyes. This is a deal breaker and I don't care about the other specs as long as I cant spend an hour behind it without going insane.

yih_torng
Level 7
did your guys success to rma it due to this reason ?