cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOT VRM - Will removing the Backplate result in lower temps?

1stcowgirl
Level 7
good evening my friends, as you know the asus 780 \ 780Ti \ 980 are having very high temps on the VRM.
though asus did ease our mind with explaining the manufacture process and endurance of the PCB and Modules..... and though we investigated ourselves, and tried all sorts, of method to reduce the VRM temps (without replacing the whole cooling sys) (if you dont know yet then the best solution is to keep the CORE temp at max of 74c and that will produce 92c on the VRM. the only way to chive this is by using GPU-Tweak on the Fan Control).

anyway.. yesterday i read about the release of TiTAN-X.
the TiTAN-X had no Backplate and nVidia said it is because the breath room the VRM needs. (and thinking about the 780Ti it fits).

QUESTION:
Did anyone try or tested the temps on the 780 \ 780Ti \ 980 without the Backplate. (i dont have one under my hand right now so im asking).

p.s.
from the beginning i suspected that those temps are a result of nVidias And Asus engineering.
comparing this to gigabytes cards got me to the upper conclusion.

780Ti by GA result in 70c on the VRM (under load)
780Ti by Asus result in 100c on the VRM
same for the GTX780

980 by GA result in 65c on the VRM (under load)
980 by Asus result in 90c on the VRM (under load)

(even MSI & EVGA had high temps.)
dont get me wrong, i know for a fact that Gigabyte cards are not so Reliable. (the 780Ti had alot of iisues).

but still.. cant help from wondering how theasus cards temps will be effected without the backplate.

thank you.
ºi7-4790k, ºZ97-A, º4x4GB Ripjaws X 1600mhz, ºASUS GTX 780Ti OC [DC2OC] ºCorsair GS700, ºCM 690 IIIº LG E2241T ºWin 7 Ulti' SP1 x64
1 REPLY 1

BRSxIgnition
Level 9
I can speak from experience that the 970/980 have a very small heatsink for the VRMs, and that's what leads to the temperature issues. Having a backplate doesn't really impact VRM temperatures as much as the actual cooling solution used to cool them.

For example, my 970 Strix that I recently sent back has only a small heatsink for the VRM, and a full heatsink for the GPU core - the temperatures I got from it in a generally cool (~15c max) room were 71c Max for the core, and 102c max from the VRM.

My new Gigabyte G1 970 has a much better cooling system however, as it incorporates the VRM and GPU core into the same heatsink block, meaning that the VRM is now staying much much closer to the GPU Core's temperatures. The temperatures I get for this card under the same ambient are 69c Max for the core and 79c max around the VRM area.

I don't know why more companies don't do this - but since Gigabyte has a 3-year year warranty just like ASUS but performs better in every way, I'm glad I made the change.

In regards to the TITAN-X, I don't think removing the backplate will do much for the VRM temperatures that properly cooling them in the first place wouldn't do better. Plus, it introduces sag in the long term.