cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme OC

Minolaos80
Level 7
I just completed a new gaming PC build with a few ROG products. I have never overclocked before, so I have no clue where to start.

My system specs are:
Rampage V Extreme (X99)
Intel 5930k
Dual Asus Matrix ROG 980's in SLI
16GB of DDR4 2400 Crucial Sport RAM
1000w EVGA P2
NZXT Kraken x61 on a push config
Samsung 850 EVO
Windows 8.1 Enterprise

The case I am using is the Corsair Graphite 780T, I have two fans pulling in, 1 exhaust and the Kraken on top with the two fans in push.

Currently the CPU has reached a maximum temp of 50C and the two GPU's 75C and 80C.

I have seen quite a few guides out there for processor and GPU overclocking as well as some for the ROG OC panel which I have installed. I am looking for a good guide to get me started on some minor overclocking for my system, if it can do it. I installed GPU Tweak for my cards, I am curious if this is the recommended tool also.

The goals I had in mind when building this PC were:
Strictly gaming, nothing else.
60fps 4k gaming over HDMI 2.0
I use an LG 49" 4K TV which has an HDMI 2.0 port for 60fps 4K pictures

Highest settings i could use in game (Perhaps some advice or a link on how to optimize these as i haven't really figured out what would be best for my card and display)

So far I haven't seen a marginal improvement when playing games such as Shadow of Mordor or Metro 2033 Redux when using this system over my previous PC which was running on a single Strix 980.

Thank you for your help!
1 REPLY 1

Korth
Level 14
There's the "official" ROG Overclocking Guide For Core i7 5960X, 5930K, and 5920K. And plenty more all over google.

Best quick advice is to focus on one component at a time, one setting at a time, going through them each methodically. Push multipliers up a small gentle increment, boot and test (run some benchmarks or games or whatever) for a while - if the system is stable then repeat, if the system is unstable then back off a notch or bump voltage up a tiny increment, etc. At some point you will have a "maximum" overclock for your particular parts, you won't be able to push any faster without cooling or power upgrades. At some point above the "maximum" overclock you will have an "ultimate" overclock threshold for your particular parts, nothing you do or upgrade can possibly push them any faster. Carefully take notes and log test results, with enough data points you will be able to graph a "sweet spot" which gives optimal results.

The R5E provides a ridiculous number of fine settings you can adjust (and that most excellent phat OC socket). Many of them, incorrectly configured, can do Bad Things to your system. Don't adjust anything unless you know exactly what it does.

I don't personally consider an overclock "stable" unless it can run 100%+ stress loading, say some Prime95 instances, uninterrupted over a full 24 hour period - without crashing, bugging, or overheating - faster is better, yes, but no amount of performance is of use to me if I can't depend on it working reliably. Many people are happy to push a little faster and further with their system "stable" enough to game for a few hours at a stretch between BSoD reboots. A few people want to break records and they only need their finicky extreme system configurations "stable" for the precious few minutes it takes to get a lucky screenshot. Exceeding manufacturer-rated specs (ie, overclocking) is never going to promise 100% stability.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]