cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate Windows form HDD to an SSD

selur100
Level 7
Hi

I bought a Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250 GB with the intention of speeding up my ASUS G750 JW. The laptop came originally with a 750 GB HDD dividided into an C: OS partition and a 😧 DATA partition.

I've never done this before, but here's what i did: I installed the SSD and formatted it to a NTFS drive. I then used the EaseUS program to clone the C: OS partition to the SSD.

Then my problem encountered: I wanted to boot up windows with my new SSD drive, and then afterwards format the old C: OS, following this guide http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows .

Aften cloning and restarting, I pressed Esc, but it seems like Windows boot manager only appears on my old HDD.

How can i boot (if possible) from my SSD?

Any help / other suggestions much appreciated
4 REPLIES 4

selur100
Level 7
"After step three, you probably won't be able to boot into Windows on your SSD. This is because the Windows bootloader resides on the MBR, not the partition itself. After you've migrated to the SSD, you'll need to insert your Windows installation CD (or your Windows 8 recovery disk) and choose "Repair Your Computer" from the main screen. Choose Startup Repair from the menu, and your computer should reboot a few times and repair the bootloader." from the link. will creating a windows 8 recovery disk on an usb anyway help?

Last question, will backin up the 😧 DATA Drive, cloning the ENTIRE HDD to the SSD, solve this problem? , ref. the argument of Windows bootloader residing on the MBR.

billyray520
Level 10
Info still needed:

1. You had Windows 8 on the hdd?
2. How was it formatted: GPT or NTFS?
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

selur100
Level 7
"Do as previously suggested w/ asus backtracker and you will be fine.

To be a little more concise follow these steps.

1. Use Asus backtracker to back up the system to a flash drive (16GB minimum). Power off system when finished and remove battery.

2. Open the bottom cover on your laptop and swap out the mechanical HD for your SSD (i.e. use the same bay). Put battery back in and power on with your flash drive inserted.

3. Once backtracker has finished restoring your system you can reinsert your mechanical HD to your other HD bay if you want to use it for mass storage. Once again power off your system and remove battery first before doing so. The necessary mounting screws for your hard drive should have been in a little bag taped to the cardboard inside the box your laptop came in. Reassemble your system.

4. Not sure if this is mandatory on all systems but I had to boot to BIOS before I could get Windows to recognize that the mechanical HD was installed to the secondary HD bay.

5. Enjoy your SSD! I have the same SSD that Cronik does and I have to agree with him that this laptop with a decent SSD absolutely SCREAMS. Most applications open instantly and all run buttery smooth. The longest it takes for me to load any program is 8 seconds (After Effects, which previously took between 30 - 45 seconds), and I am not kidding in the slightest when I say that this laptop now goes from completely powered down to a working windows desktop in about six and a half seconds on Windows 8 (with Start8 installed and booting straight to the classic desktop)." Nillaz

I'll try this. The other method didn't work, had to factory reset from the HDD.

My only question with Nillaz' method is whether i'll be able to connect the original HDD in slot 2, and format it while inside the middle slot, or whether this will again crash the computer totally. I read on this thread that people had success formatting their old HDD and using it as a secondary data disk by connecting it externally via an USB. http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37714-G750JW-adding-a-SSD

My question is therefore if i'll be able to format this disk while inside slot 2? (Assuming now the procedure over works. I will try.)