cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Update on G751JY, good idea or bad idea?

BlueFox
Level 7
Hi guys, first of all I apologize for bad english, I'm Italian.
I just bought an Asus Rog G751JY-T7134H, for now everything works fine, I only had the problem of the metallic-audio from the subwoofer that I solved with the driver indicated in the appropriate forum thread.

My question is simple, do you think is the case to make the windows' updates? I would would create conflicts as usual(now they are disabled), I have bacukps, but it often happened on my old PC. Switch to Windows 8.1 Update 1 creates problems for various drivers and programs Asus?
I'm curious about your opnion and your experiences.
See you soon!
7 REPLIES 7

joshindaphils
Level 11
Update freely. Keep your system patched it is a good practice.

There is always a chance something bad can happen from an update though that is a rare event. Any time a change is made to your system there is an inherit risk, install a new program / game = risk, patch your system = risk, turn your system off/on = risk. It is just very very small.

If you are concerned about this the proper action to take is to keep backups. Windows has it's own backup software, your Asus came with it's own (sorry don't recall the name). I personally like Acronis True Image.

As well if you do have an issue with a windows update you can always uninstall it, this would likely fix whatever issue there was.

By not updating your computer you are putting yourself in a high risk situation, an unpatched computer is more likely to be exploited by malware as it's security vulnerabilities are well known.

BlueFox
Level 7
I know, you're absolutely right buddy.
My worry is the drivers' conflict who sometimes have forced the owner to replace the PC as I read in some threads.
I always make restore points after each action, upgrades or installations, I also created the bootable usb for the image factory with Asus Backtrack.
I've heard of True Image, I think that an image of the complete system whit all programs is the best choice.

amirzubair80
Level 9
Well I updated my windows 8. And now I am a pirate.

BlueFox wrote:
I know, you're absolutely right buddy.
My worry is the drivers' conflict who sometimes have forced the owner to replace the PC as I read in some threads.
I always make restore points after each action, upgrades or installations, I also created the bootable usb for the image factory with Asus Backtrack.
I've heard of True Image, I think that an image of the complete system whit all programs is the best choice.

I've never heard of a driver conflict making someone have to replace their computer... software issue particularly after a change should never necessitate a replacement of hardware... perhaps you could provide a link to shed some light on this concern.

amirzubair80 wrote:
Well I updated my windows 8. And now I am a pirate.

Was this from a factory image?

joshindaphils wrote:

Was this from a factory image?

Yes

amirzubair80 wrote:
Yes

You should be able to call MS support and have the issue remediated.

joshindaphils wrote:
You should be able to call MS support and have the issue remediated.

Well I am not that great at handling bad situation especially with the new things. I went on and deleted every partition. And installed pirated windows and now it's going smooth no problem at all.