cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclock g751jy gtx 980mx

diogogmaio
Level 7
I'm trying to use msi afterburner for the 980mx in my g751jy.
What are the stable clocks?
Can someone help?
Or should i use gpu tweak of ASUS?
If so what are the values?
Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

NitroX
Level 10
You can use whatever OC-ing utility you desire. I usually use NVidia Inspector because it allows you to make OC-ing profiles that you activate by a simple double-click on a shortcut of the overclock. Also, Afterburner, ASUS GPU Tweak or even EVGA Precision are worth trying. All utilities will have the same results and options, with small differences like FPS Target, On Screen DIsplay (to monitor the temps/clocks/usage), Voltage settings etc.

No matter what utility you choose to use the maximum safest clocks that I've seen at my own model and at other people on the forum are: +135Mhz Core with a +600/700Mhz Memory. This means that you will have a maximum 1260Mhz Core with Turbo Boost and a 5700Mhz Memory Frequency. You can use these values and then test the stability of your overclock with a tool like OCCPT or Furmark, along with a tool like HWMonitor or HWInfo to keep an eye on the temperatures. From my personal experience, the temperatures of the GPU won't go much over 80C even with OC, but you still have to be sure that your temps are fine.

For a long term OC I would suggest going for a +120Mhz for Core and a 5600Mhz Memory frequency in order to leave some headroom for the GPU and not push it to its limits. I would also suggest using MSI Afterburners OnScreen Display whenever you are OC-ing, so you can monitor your temps/frequencies while you are playing (you know, those stats that appear in some gameplay videos in one of the top corners, that's from the On Screen Display).

I am warning though, that ANY KIND OF OVERCLOCKING WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY if the hardware component or even the system gets damaged as a result of the increased frequencies/voltages. I have stated this, because many people think that OC-ing is perfectly safe just because ASUS has its own OC-ing utility (GPU Tweak). But IT IS NOT ! They will gladly refuse to repair/exchange your laptop if you are unfortunate enough to get a dead GPU card due to overclocking.

All in all, OC-ing is quite a common practice among RoG owners because the RoG laptops do have good cooling systems and they use top-notch hardware made by ASUS so you won't have to be too worried about the warranty. If you stick to decent frequency boosts then nothing much can happen.

NitroX wrote:
You can use whatever OC-ing utility you desire. I usually use NVidia Inspector because it allows you to make OC-ing profiles that you activate by a simple double-click on a shortcut of the overclock. Also, Afterburner, ASUS GPU Tweak or even EVGA Precision are worth trying. All utilities will have the same results and options, with small differences like FPS Target, On Screen DIsplay (to monitor the temps/clocks/usage), Voltage settings etc.

No matter what utility you choose to use the maximum safest clocks that I've seen at my own model and at other people on the forum are: +135Mhz Core with a +600/700Mhz Memory. This means that you will have a maximum 1260Mhz Core with Turbo Boost and a 5700Mhz Memory Frequency. You can use these values and then test the stability of your overclock with a tool like OCCPT or Furmark, along with a tool like HWMonitor or HWInfo to keep an eye on the temperatures. From my personal experience, the temperatures of the GPU won't go much over 80C even with OC, but you still have to be sure that your temps are fine.

For a long term OC I would suggest going for a +120Mhz for Core and a 5600Mhz Memory frequency in order to leave some headroom for the GPU and not push it to its limits. I would also suggest using MSI Afterburners OnScreen Display whenever you are OC-ing, so you can monitor your temps/frequencies while you are playing (you know, those stats that appear in some gameplay videos in one of the top corners, that's from the On Screen Display).

I am warning though, that ANY KIND OF OVERCLOCKING WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY if the hardware component or even the system gets damaged as a result of the increased frequencies/voltages. I have stated this, because many people think that OC-ing is perfectly safe just because ASUS has its own OC-ing utility (GPU Tweak). But IT IS NOT ! They will gladly refuse to repair/exchange your laptop if you are unfortunate enough to get a dead GPU card due to overclocking.

All in all, OC-ing is quite a common practice among RoG owners because the RoG laptops do have good cooling systems and they use top-notch hardware made by ASUS so you won't have to be too worried about the warranty. If you stick to decent frequency boosts then nothing much can happen.

I know the last part. Thanks really, for the advice. You have the same model as mine? G751JY?

I will keep your clocks in mind. My problem was the fact that when i start msi afterburner and went all the way in the clocks I had an immediate blue screen. But your clocks seems fair. i will try.

NitroX wrote:

So after testing a bit I came to some conclusions.
The first one is that with the latest driver udpate when I OC with your clocks or something else I don't get the blue screen but randomly I get a notification that the driver stop responding and has to restart. It's a bit troubling for me. The clocks you described are fine for me to BF4 but nothing else. On other games (EVOLVE for example) the game crashes with any OC through msi afterburner.
Can someone share any thoughts?

NitroX
Level 10
Yep, I know what the problem is. In MSI Afterburner when you go for a +200Mhz memory boost, the actual boost for the GPU will be of 400Mhz. For example, if you set +200Mhz Memory in MSI Afterburner you will end up with a 5400Mhz Memory. You can check this out with GPU-z. So, the crashes you are getting are caused by the very high Memory OC. Considering that you have used a +600Mhz in MSI Afterburner, this means that your GPU was overclocked at 6200Mhz, therefore this is the reason why you are getting driver issues.

In MSI Afterburner go for a +120Mhz Core and a +350Mhz Memory which will result in a total of 1250Mhz Core frequency with Turbo Boost and a 5700Mhz Memory frequency. You should always have some monitors like GPU-z, Aida64 HWInfo when you are overclocking, in order to check both the temperatures and the frequencies of the hardware. Be careful with the OC because it is still potentially dangerous even without voltage changes.

diogogmaio
Level 7
Also I'm having issues with my refresh rate...every different driver asus or nvidia keeps changing the default from 60 to 75 and 60 again. Every time this changes i feel that my laptop is getting darker and a bit blurr / like motion blur. I think i have a problem. I see like ghosting on the screen. I don't think is from the alisaing or something. do you have this kind of problem in the monitor? But when i connect an external monitor everything is fine...i don't get it

AQUASTEVAE
Level 8
ok, so i have some questions after reading this thread, especially the following quote:
"No matter what utility you choose to use the maximum safest clocks that I've seen at my own model and at other people on the forum are: +135Mhz Core with a +600/700Mhz Memory. This means that you will have a maximum 1260Mhz Core with Turbo Boost and a 5700Mhz Memory Frequency. You can use these values and then test the stability of your overclock with a tool like OCCPT or Furmark, along with a tool like HWMonitor or HWInfo to keep an eye on the temperatures. From my personal experience, the temperatures of the GPU won't go much over 80C even with OC, but you still have to be sure that your temps are fine."

I downloaded and used nvidia inspector, and after setting my core to +135 and my memory to +699, I am wondering how to save this to a default? is it safe to leave it at these settings for a default? and if not, how do i setup to use these settings when i play a game? thanks.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

@AQUASTEVAE: Be careful because in NVidia inspector each +1Mhz to memory means in fact +2Mhz on the GPU Memory. So, if you want to go for a +135Mhz and 700Mhz increase on your GPU then you should set NVidia Inspector to +135Mhz core and +350Mhz Memory. If you don't believe me, just use GPU-z to see what memory frequency you have with the +135Mhz and +700Mhz in NVidia Inspector.
As for the default thing, this is the best thing about NVidia Inspector. It just let's you make profiles that you will have to activate once you need the OC. So, in order to skip the process of opening NVidia Inspector each time and set the clocks, you can make profiles by settings the frequencies that you want ---> hitting apply clocks in the window ----> hitting "Create shortcut of clocks"(or something like this) in the same window. Better see the picture below:

I would suggest you to make 1 OC-ing shortcut with a +135Mhz and +350Mhz that will only activate when you'll really need it in certain games. And make also a shortcut with the default clocks (follow the same process: apply default clocks---> create shortcut) so that you can change between OC and Default when you need it. Keep both profiles on desktop so that you'll have easy access to them.
For me, NVidia inspector is the best way to OC because it offers me an easy way to change the clocks with just 2 clicks. Have fun !

AQUASTEVAE
Level 8
ok, corrected it to +135 and +350. all seems fine with this setting so far.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

Posso chiedervi se il vostro G751JY funziona bene l'overclock 5% con GPU Tweak laptop?