cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer OS -- C Drive -- to SSD Upgrade

JRBehrman
Level 7
I recently upgraded memory and added an SSD to my GR8 -- a wonderful little box.

This was easy and has proven stable. I would now like to make the SSD bootable and move my OS to the SSD w/out losing my installations.

The UEFI video on this topic was generic and not very helpful. Are there written instructions for this. It should be rather easy but involves understanding UEFI jargon.
3 REPLIES 3

Korth
Level 14
http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

alexyov1
Level 7
i decided to do a fresh install of windows in my new ssd 240gb and leave the 1tb hdd as storage, no bloatware, you'd install any way you like

Ravenholme
Level 7
what you can do is get some drive clone software, and clone it to the SSD, unplug the SATA & power from the old drive, and have only the SSD hooked up, the system will automatically boot to the cloned drive. replug the 1TB SSHD and format the windows partition and merge the windows partition with the storage partition so it's one instead of the weird split. that's how i did it with my Samsung 850 evo 500gb SSD and the G20AJ-US009S's 1TB SSHD.