cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best PCIE SSD for G751jt ?

ROG4life
Level 7
I just read this- PCIE is 2x faster than SATA. Only models with M.2 pre-fitted will be supported with an M.2 bracket. We will not provide upgrade support for models purchased without M.2 initially sorry.

The g751jt does not have an ssd so I will be buying one to use as the main drive, but PCIE being 2x faster than sata is interesting. Can someone tell me some good ssd's I could buy that have this m.2 prefitted support that will work with the g751jt? Or should I just stick with sata? And is it pretty easy to install both types myself?
2 REPLIES 2

Headplant
Level 7
The issue is that some G751J models have the M.2 connector on the motherboard, and some do not. You need to determine if the G751JT model you are talking about has the M.2 connector (the electrical connector). If it does not have the M.2 connector you cannot use an M.2 drive, so can only use a sata drive. The M.2 drive currently used in the G751 series are currently Samsung XP941 drives which are PCIe 2.0 x4 drives, and currently about the fastest you can get, if you can find them because they are mainly an OEM drive.

Korth
Level 14
An M.2 SSD is faster than a SATA SSD, but not as fast as the combined performance from a pair of SATA SSDs in striped RAID. Prices are comparable, if you find one or the either on sale and aren't hugely particular about brand or minor performance differences. SATA drives have fewer compatibility restrictions, so it's easier to drop them into your existing laptop, easier to drop them into your next laptop, much easier to transfer them (and their data) around different computers in general - especially since consumer platforms typically support numerous SATA drives simultaneously but, at best, only one or perhaps two M.2 devices.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]