cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JL - installing Windows onto an SSD

xKeiyax
Level 7
Hi everyone,

I recently picked up an ROG G751JL from Best Buy, and I'm really happy with both the price and the quality of the system. I recently upgraded the RAM to 24GB, and now I'm looking at adding a 250GB SSD as the OS hard drive for the system. I have a couple of questions:

1. Can you please tell me what is the easiest/most convenient way to get Windows 8.1 onto the SSD? I've read about Macrium Reflect, so I was wondering if it was better to clone my current HDD, or should I just go ahead and do a fresh Windows installation.

2. If I want to install Windows onto the SSD, will the recovery media work, or do I need to order discs from ASUS?

3. If I just want to clone my HD, can you please link me to the steps? Note that I've backed up my files onto an external hard drive.

Thank you very much.
5 REPLIES 5

glock19er
Level 7
If you buy a Samsung ssd, just use the Samsung Migration tool software that comes with it. Very simple and works perfectly!

glock19er wrote:
If you buy a Samsung ssd, just use the Samsung Migration tool software that comes with it. Very simple and works perfectly!

I'll give it a try. Does it also clone the recovery partitions on the drive?

Also, once I have the OS installed onto the SSD, do I just put the HDD onto the 2nd drive bay and format the entire thing?

Thanks.

kevinjb101
Level 7
I have a G751JY and bought a samsung 850 Pro. Samsung Migration software cannot clone my OS perfectly as windows cannot boot.

Webaia174
Level 7
La versione ssd M.2 samsung sm951 in commercio trovata in europa e quella nvme, sulla Asus g751 non viene riconosciuto come di disco di boot acquistate il modello xp941 ahci.

Clintlgm
Level 14
The very first thing to do is download and create a Asus Backtracker Recovery Media. This link shows you how to use and a link to the software. This recovery media can be used to restore to your new SSD. How ever be aware this recovers you system to factory shipped state including formatting your 2nd hard drive if you make the mistake of leaving it in your notebook.
Macrium Reflect does a great job of Imaging or Cloning your hard drive to your new SSD.
If you have already screwed up your recovery partition and didn't make the recovery media you'll have to clean install. In this case download your hardware drivers from Asus Support Download There are multible step by step proceedures on the 8 Fourm
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro